Uninsulated crimp tool?

Hi,

Can any recommend a crimp tool (and supplier) for uninsulated terminal. I.e. not the blue/red/yellow insulated things, but brass ones which get folded over and pushed down by the crimper. I've found one or two in the RS catalogue at 40 - 75 quid but at that price I'd really like to know of a) experiences and b) alternatives!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

TLC do a ratchet one described as for uninsulated copper terminals - for cable from 1.5 - 16 mm at 18.50. DV DHCR1516.

And a couple of others at over 90 quid for sizes up to 120mm. ;-)

If it were for car cable, Vehicle Wiring Products do a very good crimper, but it's not cheap either.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I grabbed a kit just like this one:

about the same price as I got my new one a couple of years ago.

Reply to
BigWallop

: bought MP71 from Vehicle Wiring Products for car un-insulated crimps for : less than a tenner. Does a far better job than I ever managed with needle : nosed pliers and swearing.

Many thanks ... looks like an MP71 it is, then!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

I'd forgotten they did a cheaper version - I bought the PR3 at 56 quid as it was the only one which did a particular terminal I had. But like all good tools the price is soon forgotten if it makes a good job.

Is that the normal red blue and yellow insulated types? If so, that sounds a bit pricey for a fairly common tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The trick there is to type the priduct code (without any two digit suffix) into the CPC website search facility. It presents all the possible prices and you just choose the cheapest one!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hi Dave,

£25 was from memory - what you say about forgetting prices is absolutely true; I had a look at the VWP site after my posting and found that the tool for insulated crimps is about £15.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Like the angle grinder which they had on offer at both £9.99 and £9.24 at the same time

Reply to
geoff

The site looks fine to me - once I found it!!! (OK, it wasn't that difficult to google to it)

For the record it is at

people have warned off of the cheap scissor type like the MP71 appears to be.

Yes, a ratchet type is well worth the extra cash. The PR4 at £26 looks similar to the ones sold by TLC and Maplin for about the same price.

-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to reply

Reply to
Phil Addison