Ungumming a Mira shower

I have a Mira shower, which has stopped working - it's reduced to a trickle.

I have been advised that a valve inside the shower is probably blocked by a crumb of crud, or furred up.

Which bit do I need to clean, and how?

would be delighted if someone would like to advise me on what needs doing - don't be afraid of patronising me, I know next-to-nothing about plumbing.

many thanks.

Reply to
lonestar

If you're in a hard water area, the head is probably bunged up with limescale. To do a proper job, you really need to dismantle it. But you may be able to improve it by simply soaking it in vinegar overnight. The head should unscrew quite easily from the end of the flexible hose.

Take the head off and operate the shower. If you get a good flow of water from the hose - which is likely - it indicates that the valve is ok and that it's the head which is bunged up. Soak in vinegar, as above. If the flow from the hose is poor, the problem could be in the valve - for which you will probably need some outside assistance.

Reply to
Set Square

thanks for the reply set square.

i suspect outside assistance will be required, as i've unscrewed the shower hose from the main shower body, and the water comes through as a weak trickle, which leads me to think that the problem is within the shower inards.

Reply to
lonestar

It sounds a bit that way, doesn't it!

Reply to
Set Square

lonestar said the following on 28/11/2005 11:15:

For reference, I can heartily recommend Henkel Limelite power gel to remove limescale from shower head, screens, around plaugholes, taps etc.

Rumble

My Mira showers came with instructions for dismantling for servicing - try ringing Mira to see if they will send you a copy?

Reply to
Peter Johnson

they are pretty complex, especially if thermostatic. This diagram for non-therm. came up a few weeks ago on this n/g

I dismantled and descaled a thermostatic one it only worked for few weeks so I got a new one.

bland

Reply to
bland

thanks for all the replies, i've tunrned up the diagram below, and due to the complexity of the design i think i'll leave it to the professionals.

lonestar