Mira Shower - slight rant

Had a Mira electric shower repaired under warranty - the engineer says the new part (heater tank) is only guaranteed for the remainder of the original warraty period - i.e. one month! Started to complain that this was unaccep table but he said 'take it up with Mira, nothing to do with me' as he walke d back to his Mira-logo emblazoned van.

Since there's practically bugger all else in the shower *apart* from the he ater tank, I think Mira are taking the piss. The previous shower (same mode l) failed for the same reason when just under six years old so this repair better last a damned sight longer.

Reply to
Halmyre

I wonder why you feel you should have a longer total warranty than you originally paid for? It sounds like the replacement is *likely* to result in the shower having a longer life over all (even if that is without warranty).

Reply to
Andy Burns

That, or connections going bad and overheating, are pretty much the only failure modes in an electric shower.

Warranty repairs don't normally extend the original warranty.

How long was the warranty? If it's only a year or so, and it fails again, you could take it back to where you bought it, probably not for a full refund, but for a partial refund against what would be a reasonable expected life for such a unit (probably 6 years).

I'm wondering if you use the shower very hot - at normal shower temperatures, there shouldn't be a lot of hard water scale dropping out of solution (although the surface of the element does run hotter than the water outlet).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, but a shower that retails at ~£500 shouldn't be failing after two ye ars, or even six years like its predecessor.

Reply to
Halmyre

the new part (heater tank) is only guaranteed for the remainder of the orig inal warraty period - i.e. one month! Started to complain that this was una cceptable but he said 'take it up with Mira, nothing to do with me' as he w alked back to his Mira-logo emblazoned van.

e heater tank, I think Mira are taking the piss. The previous shower (same model) failed for the same reason when just under six years old so this rep air better last a damned sight longer.

We're not using it at full whack, maybe about half way on the dial, but we' re in a soft-water area to boot.

The Mira call centre bod helpfully pointed out that, being winter, maybe th e colder water coming into the shower meant it wasn't going to be as warm c oming out. This on a day when the outside temperature was a most unseasonab le 10 degrees C (yes I know the mains water will be considerably colder).

Reply to
Halmyre

And nothing stops you using the SOGA to argue that it is reasonable to expect such a product to have a longer life than 2 years, I suspect you'd have a job arguing that 6 years is unreasonable. I can't find any manufacturer offering that long, though some bathroom retailers offer 10 years if you think they will still be around ...

Reply to
Andy Burns