Unfortunate coincidences

I cabled up a hob on Saturday. The missus was tidying up later in the vicinity of the loose cable that runs behind a unit in the corner and is earmarked for boxing in.

Everything went off briefly, plunged into silence and darkness and then returned to normality. Initial sense of doom, but then was convinced it must be a coincidence (I was convinced everything was tight, no trip at the CU) and it was. Neighbourhood wide apparently. What's the chance?

It reminded me of when I changed the sink some months ago* and fitted an outside tap. Next morning the missus was pecking my ear about water pressure. I'm pissing about with the (now barely accessible) stopcock, checking pipe runs for kinks etc, turns out there was a burst main about 15 yards away. What's the chance?

Never assume the obvious though, eh?

*This might be the longest it has ever taken anyone to fit a kitchen.
Reply to
R D S

A week or so ago, I couldn't log into my BT email account - wouldn't accept my password for some reason, even after several attempts with both my PC and laptop.

Ten minutes later, a scam phone call telling me my Internet connection was going to be disconnected unless etc etc. I get one of those calls regularly, but was this a real one? Was it happening now?

Kept my nerve, fortunately, and an hour later, all was OK.

Reply to
Chris Hogg
<snip>

<snip>

Or when you are sorting someone's laptop out and they go to log into MSN Messenger and can't. So you try all sorts of things, then your own account on your own laptop and you can't either. They ask next door and they can't log into MSN ... as you say, what are the chances ... ;-(

Nope, but it's easy to sometimes, for a while at least. ;-)

I fitted the kitchen quickly enough ... just that the kick panels never got fitted but was only 25 years ago now. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

(...)

Both the water pressure thing and the electric thing would have resolved themselves if you hadn't gone off half-cocked and in haste. Waiting a bit would have seen both problems resolve themselves!

(The kickboard in a kitchen was missing, my guess is for a few decades. The kitchen belonged to a chippie with his workshop maybe twenty-thirty feet away. It needed a strip of white melamine-faced chipboard, maybe a nail or screw, and a squirt of silicone sealant if you want to be fancy. Hundreds of sheets of white-faced were used in that shop, and sealant by the carton, but did that kickboard *ever* manage to appear....?)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer
<snip>

I never did fit ours. Ideal space for wicker baskets holding veg etc.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

;-)

Quite ... or shallow storage boxes with lids for other bits and bobs that you don't need that often. ;-)

(Ours are numbered and we have a little list of the stuff that's in them in one of the draws).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I got my floor vinyl done in Sept 2016. That was after a year's screeding, wiring and plastering.

Haven't got hot water to the sink or worktops yet.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In my career I drilled many, many holes in walls. Despite all reasonable precautions one can never be absolutely sure... So when all the lights go out during the drilling process it's very alarming, and it happens surprisingly often! Likewise a sudden loud bang can be very disconcerting when drilling. However when there's a bang and you withdraw the drill and the bit has melted away and smoke comes out of the hole it does start to look a bit serious. Likewise when water pours out of the hole. I was present when a guy who was fixing a shelf in a hospital went through the main oxygen riser. That was dramatic.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

20/20 vision, with hindsight