Tidying-up a lawn border

I'm thinking of using some half-log roll to form a lawn edge and to allow a raised soil bed. The half logs are going to be buried about half their length and then I'll cast a narrow (2 inch?) concrete strip on the lawn side for the mower wheel to ride on and to help support the half logs. The concrete is going to only be about 4 inches thick so I presume I'll need to put a reinforcing bar into it - ?

How long do these pressure-treated logs typically last?

Are there any sensibly priced alternatives I should consider?

Reply to
Nospam

No you don't need any reinforcing

7 or 8 years....I've thrown thousands of them in skips that have been in place for less time than this and they were mostly rotted.

Anything not made of wood - if it's to be on show, why not use some cheapo

450 X 450 flags, cut in half to 225 X 450 then you'll get 900mm out of one flag, and the cut doesn't need to be spectacular as it'll be underground.

If you insist on using wood, use tannalised and have the same depth below ground as above

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks Phil, I don't know why but I hadn't thought of cutting slabs (doh!) My 9" angle grinder died several years ago but I've still got a stack of discs and this gives me an excuse to buy a new ........

....... ANGLE GRINDER!

:-)

Reply to
Nospam

Cast your own lawn edging in concrete, complete with edging strip? It would be fairly simple to make up a mould to do that (or, to speed production, several if the design is not too complex). You get something that does exactly what you want and you can make it as decorative or as plain as you want.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

5-10 years for PT timber in contact with soil IME.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Recycled plastic

Owain

In my experience, no time at all. And if you have them convex side towards the lawn it's an absolute nightmare trying to remove the grass that inevitably grows up the nick between the separate logs.

Avoid if you can.

Hmm, an interesting idea but I need a variety of different curves and straights so making all the moulds would be a pain.

Reply to
Nospam