Undated Kodachrome slides ? date

I have had another look at a box marked 'Canada' full of mostly KOdachrome slides. Some are marked 'Made in Canada' with card mounts and dated '63 and '62. Also quite a few marked 'Kodachrome duplicate' and marked 'made in France' with the name of a French ?processing company. The colours are as fresh as new.

I knew that Kodak had a special slide film for copying slides (quite difficult).

My dad had some Kodachrome slides copied by a 'professional photographer' who clearly didn't know about the contrast problem doing this, and the copies have a very dark blue tint and are so contrasty they are useless.

I did try a trial copy of Silverfast and that was very good, but it was (and still is) rather pricy and ties you to one model of scanner.

Reply to
Andrew

Many of them have been marked with a pencil or similar to say where they were taken. Mostly taken in the 60's where a date is missing I think. Many taken at a local hospital, possibly a maternity unit, plus lots of snowy surroundings and the occasional massive black dog !. These are marked with 'Burgeo NFLD'. A few dated Oct64 and marked 'Made in Australia' and taken at Southampton. Someone doing a £10 pom trip maybe ?

Reply to
Andrew

I used quite a few rolls of Agfa CT18 about 35 years ago and that seemed to be better with earthy colours. IN autumn and winter, especially with snow on the ground it seemed to produce very accurate colours whereas Kodachrome is best when the sun is out.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

And there was FerraniaColor(Sp) - very vivid greens

Reply to
charles

A bit far from Aus!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That is a useful recommendation, thank you. I will save it for later. It is hard to know which businesses are going to stay in business so it is good to have a choice.

I generally process all my own B&W stuff and either take or send the colour to Photohippo in Burnley (photohippo.co.uk). The exception being when we discovered a couple of rolls of undeveloped B&W which had been taken, years earlier by the other half's late other half and we decided to let the professionals tackle that one. They did an excellent job: other half was well pleased and they turned out to have been photos he had taken only shortly before he had died so they were especially meaningful.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I have some Kodachrome Slide cardboard processed at their Hemel Hempstead site in the UK. Made in England date stamped Jun 79 in red text. Some vintage cars driving past near where I live.

whisky-dave

I preferred Agfa too , think it was also cheaper.

.IN autumn and winter, especially with

I remember trying ORWO film it had good browns and I liked it when taking pictures of dirt and mud. So didn't use it often think it was one or may phases when trying things out.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Aha, a Sunblest delivery van, a brace of ford escorts, an 1100, a mini, a Zepher 4/6 and one volvo and possibly an audi.

How different from todays road scene

Reply to
Andrew

Yes I found that. I just blamed the cheap scanner I bought.

Reply to
bert