Unblocking Kitchen Sink

There's a straight pipe which a glued-on 90 degree bend at the end which attaches to a series of other u-bends which then attach to the sink. The blockage is about half way along the straight piece. I've tried thick cable to break up the blockage and coat hanger wire. But haven't had much success. Not too easy to force it round the initial bend. I'm reluctant to push something stronger along the pipe in case I push the blockage further down. I either want to break up the blockage or pull it out. I though about cutting the pipe, removing the blockage and then sealing the pipe somehow. Not sure if it's a good idea though. I'm really curious what the blockage could be to have settled in this position. The thought of it being a dead rat gives me the willies!

Reply to
Stephen

Try an air pressure plunger - the sort with the big concertina bellows, not just a dalekcup. You can get quite a force up with those.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com writes

Fill sink with Caustic Soda and leave overnight.

Reply to
Jerry

| In article , | snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com writes | >There's a straight pipe which a glued-on 90 degree bend at the end | >which attaches to a series of other u-bends which then attach to the | >sink. The blockage is about half way along the straight piece. | >I've tried thick cable to break up the blockage and coat hanger wire. | >But haven't had much success. Not too easy to force it round the | >initial bend. | >I'm reluctant to push something stronger along the pipe in case I push | >the blockage further down. I either want to break up the blockage or | >pull it out. | >I though about cutting the pipe, removing the blockage and then sealing | >the pipe somehow. Not sure if it's a good idea though. | >I'm really curious what the blockage could be to have settled in this | >position. The thought of it being a dead rat gives me the willies! | >

| Fill sink with Caustic Soda and leave overnight.

Then flush the pipe out with hot water at least monthly. That clears solidified fat out and the food debris follows it.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

wrote

My wife once poured hot fat down the plug hole which solidified into a 6mm thick disk within minutes. Never seen a sink so effectively blocked so quickly! Fortunately this had set on top of the trap liquid and just needed trap removal to clear.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Usual thing is animal fat from frying pans, etc. It flows ok with hot water but then sets when it gets cold. And being a poor conductor of heat doesn't respond to hot water on just one side of the blockage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wouldn't cut anything. Can't visualise your waste setup but unscrew any joints that allow you to get closer to the blockage. They should only be hand tight

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks for all the help! I bought a springy, flexible drain unblocker and pushed it down inside the straight pipe (after undoing the u-bends). I definatley felt some resistance and it stank a lot. The sound of the water draining away was like music to my ears. I let the tap run for a moment and the water seemed to drain but then it stopped so unfortunately the blockage was still there. I tried caustic soda and it didn't do anything.

The problem is I have 3 drainage pipes which connect to a single outlet leaving the flat- the kitchen sink (with the long blocked pipe), the bath & washing machine all in different rooms. Maybe waste from the washing machine has pushed it's way up into the drain for the sink. Sometimes when the washing machine rinses water floods into the bath so I'm sure there could be fluff & stuff that's worked it's way up the sink drain pipe.

I need to take off the bath panel and attack it from the bath end or buy a longer flexible drain unblocker and go at it again from the kitchen.

I've had ongoing problems with this flat in the 4 years I've lived there. All because of make-shift quick fixes by previous owners!

Reply to
Stephen

This is how I usually do it:

Helps to fill the sink at least half full first so when the blockage is cleared it gets washed away.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I assume the "straight pipe" is the single outlet you refer to, and it sounds like that is blocked rather than any of the 3 pipes leading into it. The springy flexible things often push through the obstruction. A length of garden hose might be more effective. Better still if you can run water through it and get a bit of pressure going, but obviously have a bucket handy. Chances are it's hair from the bath, and caustic soda won't help. It's often easier (but not very pleasant) to pull it back with coat hanger wire. Just make a small hook on the end. I suppose you don't have an access point outside the flat?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The plunger worked a treat! I bought a small one for =A33 and cleared the drain in seconds. No mess, no fuss. Easy.

Thank you!

Reply to
Stephen