Very Slight leak under kitchen sink

The straight vertical piece of metal pipe (Likely 1.5" diameter) that attaches to the bottom of the kitchen sink is leaking extremely slowly at the nut at the top of the pipe that attaches to the sink. The pipe's top nut has a crack in it. This piece of pipe also has a bottom nut (same size) that attaches to the PVC trap below. The vertical piece also has a small metal connection where the dishwasher drain pipe is clamped to it.

Tried using epoxy but it still leaks extremely slightly. I'm almost comfortable not doing anything more about it.

1) Should I still have it fixed now, by replacing the cracked metal nut, or wait and maybe try some more epoxy or caulk?

2) To replace the cracked metal nut, do I need to buy a whole new vertical piece of pipe, or is there a way to just remove the old nut and put on a new one?

Thanks,

jaynews

Absolutely you have to repair even the smallest leak immediately. It is far more efficient than fixing the significant damag that even the smallest leak can cause. Epoxy or caulk is no way to fix any kind of leak.

Can you post a pic of this thing?

Reply to
Lawrence

Long term, that type of fix never works. Fix it the right way.

You should be able to buy just the nut at any good hardware store. It may be a rubber seal at the top flange that is leaking also. Chances are, the nut cracked from over tightening to stop a small leak and this made it worse. You may have to partially disassemble the trap to get the pieces apart and pull out the top section of pipe to put a new nut one. this type of job is best done an a day you know the hardware store is going to be open should be break something else in the process.

Any plumbing book will have a diagram of how the parts typically fit together. Start here

Edwin Pawlowski

I bought a whole new connection pipe and installed it. I went with PVC. (The cracked nut on the old connection pipe was permanently attached. )

The new connection pipe is working. HOWEVER, I've been checking for TINY leaks by sticking edges of paper towels around the edges of the nut at the connection. KEY QUESTION: Should I have ZERO tolerance for the paper towel showing any sign of wetness when I do this or is a slight bit of wetness considered acceptable. I've already gone beyond hand tightening, and I don't want to wind up cracking the nut and having the same problem as before.

(by the way I did use a new plastic washer that is the same type used as before. It's the kind that has a flat edge that touches the sink's-end of the sink's connection)

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
jaynews

You don't say whether it actually leaks or not. In my opinion you absolutely must have zero tolerance for any type of water leak. It should not and must not leak. Pipes sometimes sweat though and this must not be confused with a leak. You should use pipe tape or dope on the thread to prevent leaks, that's the ticket.

Reply to
Lawrence

It's not dripping. It's just that when sticking the edges of a paper towel under the crevice of the PVC connection nut, the edges of the towel are getting slightly wet. Presumably this means it is leaking slightly, or do I only need need to worry if I see a drip or see water running down the pipe?

jaynews

It's a 49 cent repair.

Please do it!

jaynews wrote: