UMAX

I recently came across (while looking for something else) a product called UMAX, which is an additive for the water in a central heating system that i s said to

"change the way water boils, making the water in your radiators hotter with out turning them up. As water in a central heating system passes over the h eat exchanger in the boiler, a small percentage of that water will boil on the hot metal surfaces. During this boiling a layer of irregular bubbles fo rms which eventually join together and act as insulator between the gas fir ing and the water within the radiator circuit. Umax changes the way water b oils so that only micro bubbles form which do not coalesce greatly increasi ng the heating efficiency and the transfer of heat from the boiler into the radiator circuit. (see:

"

It sounded a bit far fetched, but I found some on eBay for just £3.99 pos t free, which was hardly going to break the bank, and lo and behold, it see ms to work, insofar as the radiators really are a lot hotter - almost scald ingly hot.

I don't really understand why this means the boiler thermostat doesn't cut out earlier - but I pass this on, being interested to see if anyone else ha s had experience of this product.

Keith

Reply to
Keefiedee

Hmmmmmm smells like tinned meat and snake oil to me...

I'd like to see the result of this additive in a glass pressure cooker. Adding it to an open boiling pan isn't the same as adding it to a closed system pressurised to 30 to 40 psi.

Surely the boiler sets the temperature of the circulating water so adding such product to a system isn't going to make the radiators hotter ?

Would it not just be a simple detergent that reduces surface tension of the water to prevent "larger" bubbles forming?

The very best I can see it doing is making the water heat up slightly quicker in the same way a larger heat exchanger would so it doesn't save ANY energy because MORE energy is passed to the water in the same amount of time so the net energy saving effect is zero... in fact... it would as far as I can see use MORE energy in the same amount of time of heating operation which could be matched by simply setting your radiators to come on a bit earlier.

And while I'm at it.... the manufactures claim between 10 to 12% energy saving... When has a manufacturer EVER been truthful about claimed energy saving figures... Just saying. Perhaps a 10 to 12% increase in bringing water up to temperature but that's it.

Pete@

Reply to
0845.86.86.888

A bit more background here:

John Rumm

So just where does this wasted heat disappear to?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

up the chimbly essentially.

If they are to be believed, this would improve heat transfer from boiler exhaust to hot water.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it doesn't get into the water where does it go, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To be honest, what impressed me most was the very obviously increased tempe rature of the water in the radiators. I am well aware that it would be ver y difficlt to assess actual energy savings. My view was that you can't go far wrong for £3.99 unless there are any snags, which so far there don't seem to be, and no-one has suggested any. However, I understand Carshalton College did a full assessment and came up with the 10 to 12% figure.

Keith

Reply to
Keefiedee

perature of the water in the radiators. I am well aware that it would be v ery difficlt to assess actual energy savings. My view was that you can't g o far wrong for £3.99 unless there are any snags, which so far there don' t seem to be, and no-one has suggested any. However, I understand Carshalt on College did a full assessment and came up with the 10 to 12% figure.

A change in rad temp would not result even if it did what it claims. As for going far wrong, I reckon you've gone 3.99 wrong.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Maybe more that that if it voids the boiler warranty.

Reply to
Andrew May

Like turning up the boiler temperature?

Very simple. You check gas usage.

Perhaps you could provide a link?

BTW, are you simply a satisfied customer or involved with this product in some way?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

[...]

No I have not turned up the boiler temperature.

The boiler is far too old to have a warranty.

We're on oil, not gas.

I am certainly not involved with the manufacturers in any way. I just thou ght the concept vaguely made sense (though I agree I am getting a bit senil e these days) and wondered if anyone else had used it or thought that it in any way made sense or was worth trying. But, probably quite reasonably, y ou're all confirmed cynics!!!!

Reply to
Keefiedee

:)

I'm actually quite pleased it initially appeared you may have some connection to the company Keith as I did a quick dig around your gmail address and followed the trail to your youtube page and most specifically the series of videos of the natural healing woman.

"Three thumps" :)

Great stuff though I still have plenty more of them to watch.

Cheers Pete@

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

replying to Keefiedee , Garry Selby wrote: ABC GAS CARE Garry Selby I Enjoyed the discussion on the product and can confirm its not another product that bulls you up for your hard earned cash it actually works and all the other Central Heating Additive Manufacturers are scrambling to get there own product on the market it actually costs close to £20K to have it independently tested and about 6 months Fernox one of the best known brands have issued a product as well F6 What it does in simple terms is increase the Conductivity of the water and as a simple effect of heat passing into the water easier this increases heat of the water and as 2 effects you ether get too hot or if sensible drop the temp of the boiler , you use less gas , Its not Bull it works It was tested extensively by a further education facility in Scotland on commercial and domestic ,I read the report and after that I am adding to nearly every job , But if you want to save energy and your boiler life fit a Magnaclean I am not going to spend pages on why you need one but it keeps your boiler free of sludge iron oxide this keeps your energy efficiancy high it then also as another effect your boiler life can go from 10 year to 20 year IF YOU ADD INHIBITOR as well and makes putting inhibitor in your system and your UMax , my maintenance bills went down on 40 rental houses from thousands a year to small hundreds over a 5 year period with every house having Magnaclean regular inhibitor and the Umax the original installation cost was high but now its pay back in low running costs . So as some one who is plumbing day in day out you want to save money 1 put Magnaclean in ,2 Put inhibitor in yearly ,3 Put Umax in . or the Fernox F6 is inhibitor and Umax in one . I do not work for any of the company's so this is independent and information through real experience in the field .

Reply to
Garry Selby

[...]

A 10%-12% is significant. So much so that if rolled out and installed acros s the country, the CO2 targets set by government and the E.U would be met o r at the very least reached MUCH sooner than expected. This would be a poli tician's Alchemy, a dream come true, it would be employed world wide and th e inventors would be £££BILLIONAIRES... Think about it, think about i t.

Reply to
dogsquasher

Here we are a year later... Has this person beenblown up or are they now selling snake oil.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

[...]

This has been around for a long time. Do some research on "cavitation". Theoretically it should work. But in practice any benefits to heat transfer are miniscule.

A better effect can be had be increasing the system pressure which also red uces cavitation.

harry

replying to Keefiedee, Garry Selby wrote: This product probably works as we purchased load cheap put it in various houses and relative said it made differance thats not sciance BUT spoke to a chemical engineer asked if it was word BULL he said it worked and were developing their own version when BS standard was tested BUT dont go off the inflated figures quoted lucky if it achieves 3% they were adding it to their Inhibitor as a benefit And their we have it inhibitor not spending hours why it works saves money 2 things GET a magnaclean that saves money put inhibitor in dirty sytem cost money breakdowns and extra gas . so would I put product in yea not at £20

17% is BULL fernox sell F6 quote 1% thats realistic one off payment its good for say 5 year . have I experiance hope so we own over 50 property's we are gas safe registered we fix boilers service them and I saved word is thousands after fitting Magnacleans and inhibitor yearly yes my break down cost were high not now so whats that say .
Reply to
Garry Selby

Oh dear obviously makes you unable to use punctuation or not muddle your worms. Do you sell spam? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

replying to Garry Selby, Bob wrote: That was three years ago.

Reply to
Bob