uk.radio.amateur?

You raised the topic of types of radio amateur licence you disapprove of in the original post of this thread. Despite the fact that this is a discussion group you described my disagreement with your assessment as "rude", and proceeded to say the same thing again at even greater length. You are of course entitled to do this, and to describe any disagreement as rudeness, but don't be surprised if people rapidly get tired of this.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

over sensitive I see...

Old men in sheds twiddling knobs? They sound like "fellow amateurs" from here.

You sound rather like one of the member's of the advanced motorist club, donning their open back leather driving gloves, and muttering about how standards have fallen since the modern driving test does not include a rigorous assessment of the subjects ability to adjust a carburettor, or failing to check they understand the lighting requirements for the horse pulling their handsom cab!

Sorry that was a bit muffled... could you repeat that, but perhaps pull your head from your arse a little first?

Yeah quick pull up that drawbridge...

Reply to
John Rumm
<snip>

I wonder if he also voted for us all to leave the EU? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Roger, old chap, you continue to be obsessed with picking faults with me but not addressing or debating the issues raised, something that you said yesterday that I should do.

Reply to
Gareth Evans

What a peculiar turn of phrase.

Amateur radio has twin traditions of technical motivation and international gentlemanliness. I commend to you the latter tradition.

Reply to
Gareth Evans

A somewhat pointless non-sequitur there.

The current government in Brit is not a democracy, as much vaunted, but a monarchy; a monarchy of the descendant spawn of the Norman invaders; a monarchy to which I am opposed, and therefore do not partake in the voting schemes of it.

Reply to
Gareth Evans

Highly lateral light-hearted link, if you have the mind for it.

So it seems from the Brexit farce.

Quite.

As is your right.

Cheers, T i m (G7ICW) (< so someone else you probably wouldn't consider to be a 'proper' RA, even though I only took my ticket to do Packet on 2m / 70cms).

Reply to
T i m

You passed the RAE and are therefore presumed to be qualified to design, construct and operate your own transmitting equipment.

Reply to
Gareth Evans

Which is of course, ridiculous.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's up to you; at sometime you might pick up the threads again and then not be faced with the hurdle of a qualifying exam before getting started.

As an example. look up G8TTI on the web. His background is as a domestic plumber and yet based on his RAE pass has constructed from scratch his own Moon-bounce station.

(Yes, he does put me to shame :-( )

Reply to
Gareth Evans

The threads of the RA world / spectrum / interest you mean?

Well done him. I wonder if he has only one hobby though.

See, before the telephone and especially the mobile telephone, having the skills, licence and equipment to be able to talk to people around the world was definitely an advantage, but only those people who also had the skills, licence and equipment.

Now, and especially with email / Skype it's no longer so, for the vast majority anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I 'get' the draw of seeing how far you can reach out and make contact (like fishing), *especially* if you have built your own kit, but outside of emergency communications, it really is like climbing a mountain 'because it's there'.

And some pretty big mountains have been climbed that's for sure ... packet radio mailboxes flying round the earth, up/downloading their mail as they pass overhead. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Those are not considerations for me; amateur radio has always been a technical pursuit in which operating only happens occasionally to assess changes to the installation.

Reply to
Gareth Evans
<snip>

Sounds a bit like building a clock but not setting it going.

When I was 17 my mate invited me to his 18th birthday party but as I didn't like such things, I politely declined ... so he asked if I would help him put one on. I agreed and we cleared out his dads double garage and I got some audio and disco lighting gear together (my stuff from home and borrowed etc) and 'manned' it for him on the night. From there I was asked if I could do several other 18th's and so that started me on the path to putting together a mobile disco. 8 years and hundreds of gigs later I had a 1500W PA, full 3 way stereo sound paths and an array of lighting solutions. All of it (apart from the Roost bass bins and turntables) were home made but only made as a means-to-an-end, not specifically for the fun of designing / building it all in the first place.

I built most of it as I could then 1) afford it, 2) have what I wanted and 3) be able to repair it if any of it went wrong (it never did) and I ran it, mostly as a means of earning some pocket money and helping people out / making people happy and partly (as an aside) because it was fun to put the stuff I had built though it's paces.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Do you interpret "gentlemanliness" as pompous? For that seems to be the main vibe you seek to project.

Reply to
John Rumm

How rude!

Grow up, Sonny.