UK DVDs

And what about the sound? Do you raise the pitch by 17% (in itself not easy, and far from acceptable) or keep the sound running for the original duration so it lags more and more behind the pictures? It's a ridiculous idea, and not even the crudest method of standards conversion does it that way AFAIK.

Richard.

Richard Russell

I hadn't thought about Never The Same Colour.

Thanks, it's back to the drawing board then.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I hadn't thought about that either. Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well, I'll ask them soon.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That is something else I need to look at. Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Now that is a very good suggestion, it takes me out of the loop :-))

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If I remember correctly, 'PAL' 625-line TV sets, which have a 50Hz field (25Hz frame) scan rate, have little trouble locking to an 'NTSC' video signal, which has a 60Hz field (30Hz frame) scan rate. This is because the faster field rate triggers off the scan 'early', and it locks OK.

On the other hand, an NTSC set doesn't work with a PAL signal, because the trigger from the slower field scan rate occurs 'too late' - ie after the scan has decided it can't wait any longer for a trigger pulse, and has already started off on its own (free-running). As a result it won't lock.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Buying in Canada will be my recommendation after reading all the responses.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I'll take a look at that after I have finished posting on this.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It's fairly trivial to do the conversion if that's what you want to do and to create an NTSC disk that will play in your DVD player.

First you need to rip the DVD to disk, removing the region encoding as you do so.

This will give you a folder that replicates the structure of files on the DVD. An application such as VLC will now be able to play thweDVD from this folder. So if all you/your SO want to do is to watch the DVD that's about all you need.

If you want to burn a DVD and you want to convert to NTSC you need to convert it. FFMPEG is free and does a brilliant job but it's a complex application to use. However it will turn a folder of VOB files from a DVD into a .ts file (relatively quickly) that most DVD burners can write to an NTSC DVD. You get a simple DVD with just the main feature, no menus, and no "extras" but it is servicable and will play on most NTSC DVD players from this century.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I am in the UK but have actually bought DVDs over the internet from Canada that were intended for that region. Cheaper than buying our local region and play fine on our multi-region DVD player.

Reply to
Invisible Man

I checked on amazon.com this morning. Region 1 NTSC DVDs of the Royal Wedding are due in on 24th May, available for pre-order at $5.99 and are the BBC editions. It would seem sensible if your wife wants a memento to go for one of those.

BTW, did you know that the "official" wedding programme is available to download for free? That may keep her curiosity quotient for the royals topped up until the DVD arrives.

Steve Firth

Thanks for the info. Noted and printed and I will get back to the problem on Monday.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Trouble is, I don't know if they can work out how to enable multi regional. I know it can be done on most system, but with the player being in Canada...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Some do, some don't. IIRC, unless PAL sets are specifically designed to display NTSC, then they don't.

Reply to
Mark

In message , Mark writes

Since around the 1980s, there have been ordinary VCRs which could play NTSC tapes, and output composite video 'NTSC' with 4.43MHz colour. All my TV sets have been OK when fed with such a signal - including a still-working Goodmans 14" set, which must be over 20 years old. Somewhere in the loft, I've got an old B&W set from the mid-1970s. One day, I'll try it. However, it could indeed be that I might have to cheat, and tweak the vertical and horizontal presets.

Reply to
Ian Jackson