uk.d-i-y is going....

Mid kent in my case. From wikipedia (so it *must* be true):

Fainites and fains (or vainites and vains) predominated in London and throughout southern England, apart from the scribs and screams of east Hampshire, and extended north as far as Olney in Buckinghamshire. Variations included fennits, fannies, fainsies, faylines, vainlights and vainyards. Notes and Queries reported in 1870 that fains was in common use by London schoolboys. Faints appeared in an 1889 dictionary of slang and fainits in 1891. According to philologist J. R. R. Tolkien, the term derives from the medieval term fein I, descended in turn from the Old French se feindre meaning "to make excuses, hang back or back out of battle". He also proposes that this use of the term throws light on line 529 of the Clerk's Tale by Chaucer that "lordes heestes mowe nat been yfeyned" (the lords orders cannot be treated with a fain I; in other words, declined).[2] Another translation of the Anglo-Norman word feindre is "pretend, feign, turn a blind eye to", which is what the more powerful child does whilst granting respite.

So to sum up, it seems no one really knows :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Interesting. My recollection is that it was Ok to use the term, but not too often, and only for a valid reason (like, as TMH said, f'rinstance to do your shoes up). It was not OK to use to avoid an imminent biffing and then biff the would-be biffer yourself because now he's not looking. Then you'd get moaned at, just as when you "didn't take your shots" while playing cowboys.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Fains I. (Whatever spelling.)

But having gone to five primary schools, although I know that other terms were used, I simply cannot remember any of the others.

Reply to
polygonum

Feinites at primary in my bit of Hertfordshire but we had a lot of London overspill housing.

Pax? at secondary?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm glad of that - one of the bad things about this ng is the number of OT political posts. Although I might reply to them as and when I have time, as of about nine months ago, I decided not to start any myself, and I wish others would do the same. The ng is suffering from too many irrational bigots using it as their political, quasi-religious campaign ground.

But anyway, in case you hadn't noticed, the weather's been fine, so I dare say like me everyone's been busy outside, 'though I need to do some last minute weeding and strimming as well, before winter finally sets in.

I've also been go>

Reply to
Java Jive

It's been pretty good the last month ... until today when it's pissed it down most of the day, looking the same for tomorrow.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well stop doing so!

Reply to
dennis

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course DIY is heavily politicsed. Part P,. building regulatiuons, health and safety? how couldd we not discuss politics?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Java Jive

Reply to
Java Jive

And learn how to Kill a thread with your news reader so *you* don't see them.

Reply to
bert

That seems like a pretty good answer to me!

Reply to
newshound

Pax is the only one I can recall in the South London suburbs (Ewell)

Reply to
newshound

LOL

Reply to