TV reception

In some areas, Stevenage for one, you're not allowed to use external aerials.

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

You never have been able to get Channel 5 on analogue in Kent as it interferers with french tv. Only the Hougham mast in Dover will give you digital as the other is only a low power town repeater and at the moment is only analogue. Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

About time someone challenged that under EU law!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Dover with its very directional panel aerials aimed away from le French!..

tony sayer

LOL!, That was comparatively sane!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Well you know the wandom way those electrons wibble around;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

You could always go Freesat?...

Reply to
tony sayer

forgot, Murdoch's already doing that ;-)

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

On Sun, 18 May 2008 09:50:07 +0100 someone who may be "Cerberus ." wrote this:-

Is this some imposition by the council?

As has been said, it should be challengeable in the courts.

Reply to
David Hansen

I don't know the reasoning really. It could be something to do with being a 'New Town' I suppose. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing aerials in Welwyn Garden City or Milton Keynes either (only concrete cows).

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

On Sun, 18 May 2008 14:25:57 +0100 someone who may be "Cerberus ." wrote this:-

Quite possibly. However, if there is such a restriction then communicating with the council's planning bods should quickly reveal chapter and verse. It is only when that is known that it can be challenged.

Reply to
David Hansen

I suggest you ask again in uk.tech.broadcast.

Andy

BTW: to those who say you can get nowhere without a roof aerial: I'm sure my wife isn't the only one who objects to having "an 8ft long fish skeleton" on the roof..."

Reply to
Andy Champ

Does she live on the roof or do her sunbathing there?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Further, the newer aerials are likely to be mounted on larger poles than used to be common (2 inch) and be much larger than used to be required. For us, we would need a 12 foot pole on the back or front of the house. Huge, intrusive (visible while sunbathing without a doubt) and probably noisy in any significant wind. Of course, this is not universal. For us the local transmitter (less than one mile away) cannot be received and does not transmit Freeview.

Reply to
Rod

Go Freesat then:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Virgin. For now...

Reply to
Rod

MK was supposed to be fully cabled from the outset. AIUI because the cable was pretty crap/expensive so many people installed sat dishes and the council didn't object at the time, the council are in effect barred from taking action against anyone with a dish now

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I don't know what the situation is nowadays in Stevenage, but when I lived there some twenty-odd years ago the Council enforced the 'no aeriel' policy strictly. In fact the ban was written into tenancy agreements & into the deeds of our house.

It wasn't a great hardship in fact because of the communal aeriels we were able to pick up regional channels such as Thames, LWT, Anglia etc which tho' limited gave a "better" choice of programs than we would have had otherwise.

Don..

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

On Mon, 19 May 2008 08:00:39 +0100 someone who may be "Cerberus ." wrote this:-

They presumably don't have a 'no satellite dishes' policy and if that is the case I don't see how they could bar anything else that receives television (or radio) transmissions.

These days do they have communal satellite dishes so people can get the whole range of regional programmes I wonder? It can sometimes be useful to get more information on a story by watching say BBC1 East Midlands. A satellite receiver can be purchased for less than £40 from Maplin, no doubt cheaper elsewhere.

Reply to
David Hansen

David Hansen wrote in

You were doing so well up to that point...

Reply to
PeterMcC