TV aerial reccomendations

A good DP never hurts, so if gain ain't a problem the good ol' log periodic takes some beating.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To make a valid comparison with yagis, the number of "elements" quoted for a TV log periodic needs to be divided by 2. (Because the two halves of the same element are attached to different sub-booms, manufacturers take it as an excuse to count them as two separate "elements".)

That said, LPs genuinely do give a very good balance between moderate forward gain, very good side and rear rejection, and moderately low wind loading.

For example, I'm using an LP to receive digital TV from a distant transmitter with a high-gain preamp, while avoiding overload from the local non-digital transmitter. The location is extremely exposed, and a large yagi just wouldn't survive the winds we get here, but the LP gives just the right balance of features.

Reply to
Ian White

Maybe I've misunderstood your post - when you say you're "getting away with" a group A aerial do you mean you get a solid digital signal already?

If so, I don't see any point in shelling out on a new aerial; just stick the one you have outside!

Cheers

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Winkless

You are not misreading my post, and what you say is true, but I just don't work that way.

When I'm re-jigging something for whatever reason, I will always take the opportunity to correct anything that was wrong with the original set-up. I like things done right. That's why I generally have to DIY.

If aerials cost hundreds of pounds, I might have considered that. But at sub-£50, I'd rather do it right.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Don't forget, when you install the new aerial use CT100 or similar cable.

Reply to
Adrian A

You've said there is nothing wrong with the existing setup. You're not "getting away with it". You have a working setup for your particular circumstances.

If it works, and can be shown to work, then...

I have an (outdoor) aerial which gave dodgy reception on Digital after we moved the TV to another room and extended the cable (using deceint cable). A sub =A310 booster from Asda (price including a roll of el- crappo thin coax, which I used) solved the problem. I can absolutely guarantee that's not what would have been recommended here. Is my solution "wrong" just because it doesn't meet someone else's idea of perfection.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

If it works, and can be shown to work, then...

I have an (outdoor) aerial which gave dodgy reception on Digital after we moved the TV to another room and extended the cable (using deceint cable). A sub £10 booster from Asda (price including a roll of el- crappo thin coax, which I used) solved the problem. I can absolutely guarantee that's not what would have been recommended here. Is my solution "wrong" just because it doesn't meet someone else's idea of perfection.

MBQ

I'm *not* going to call what you did wrong, nor am I criticising anyone for what they choose to do on their kit. I'm just saying it's not how *I* choose to work on *my* kit.

Each to his own.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

That's what I said! I am heavily influenced by you, Bill :-)

Marky P.

Reply to
Marky P

Yes, thanks to you both. I think I'll give that a whirl.

Just got to sort out the mast arrangement now...

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Well, I used a 1" mast for a Blake LP aerial, but Bill said it may fall down in the next breeze, so go for a 1.25" one.

Marky P.

Reply to
Marky P

Oh dear. Let's hope it stops at technical matters. I wouldn't want to lead you astray in other respects. At present I am heavily influenced by various real ales under which I am under the influence of. Sho to shpeak.

Bill (as far as I can tell)

Reply to
Bill Wright

Oh do be careful with that thing!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No, it won't fall down in the next breeze. That's not what I said. I said it was a bit marginal. All that will happen is that over a period of time the mast will sway and flex in the wind more than is good for it. Eventually it will fatigue and snap. Strangely it will probably do that on a still day. Unless there's a phenomonal wind it will last for years before it goes. You see, we have to assume that there will be a phenomonal wind, otherwise if there is one we'd be up shit creek with no means of manually propelling the vessel.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , Bill Wright writes

When you're up shit creek, the last thing you want to do is literally propel the vessel 'manually'! Ian.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message , Bill Wright writes

That's easy for you to say.

Reply to
Ian

In article , Marky P writes

I'd add to Bill's recommendations. A log is a much better wideband aerial than a Yagi which isn't a natural wideband animal at all, its a real compromise.

Yagi's are fine for hi gain narrowband applications. Even the aerial grouping in the UK there're falling off at the extremities of the channel range.

One of they and a good CT100 grade cable should make for a quality installation.......

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Yep.. Any old bit of metal will "work" as an aerial, but some old bits of metal will work better then others especially when hewn in the correct shapes;).

I've heard this argument many times and if it works OK for you and your happy with it who am I to argue.

Except that some aerial directivity and gain in-hand never goes amiss especially for low power TX working and CCI conditions......

Reply to
tony sayer