Turning radiator off/down - no thermostat valve

They are for thermostatic valves which cannot be closed with a spanner. Screwing down the plastic cap depresses the pin in the valve and so closes it.

Reply to
Robin

I thought the standard was a lockshield at the outlet and one of these at the inlet - the former for balancing and the latter for turning the rad off?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Nothing to put a spanner on! Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TVRs) have a spring loaded pin that is pushed down by the TRV head with the amount of travel being controlled by temperature. The head of a TVR can be removed by unscrewing it leaving the valve with the pin - in the fully open position. The screw on cap ensures that the pin is fully down and the valve fully closed.

If you want to remove a radiator you either drain down the whole system or just close the valves on BOTH sides of a radiator and drain just the water in the radiator. The decorators cap for the TRV on one side of a radiator ensures that that valve stays shut. If the head of the TRV was just screwed down to close the valve the valve may open again as the temperature drops. In normal operation you probably would want a TRV to be open (or partially open) for frost protection at 5 to 10C.

Reply to
alan_m

With a TRV the latter for automatically turning off the radiator at a user selected temperature.

In a room with a room thermostat it's better to have two lockshield valves which cannot be adjusted without a spanner and with a cosmetic covering caps to discourage tampering and let the thermostat control the temperature by firing up or turning off the boiler.

Reply to
alan_m

Ah yes gotcha!

Reply to
RJH

They replace the thermostatic valve when decorating, not permanently.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

TRVs only have a pressure operated plunger, you can't set their position with a spanner. Normally the wax cartridge in the TRV head modulates the amount of plunge. With the TRV head removed the plunger is in its fully open "unplunged" state. So you need a way of pushing it down.

(taking off the TRV head and inserting a 5p coin before replacing it will also work)

Reply to
John Rumm

If your house had effective insulation, that move would not have made much, if any difference.

Reply to
Andrew

At the time very large single glazed windows - now double glazed and much heavier curtains. I tend to keep most of the house cool(ish) in winter by having TVRs turned down and have only my living room at a higher heating level. I prefer a cold bedroom.

Reply to
alan_m

I understand that, and as stated at the start of my OP, the bathroom radiator has no thermostat. It surely doesn't need another radiator in an adjacent space to also provide a bypass.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned there are no room thermostats.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I probably don't - term confusion and ignorance. The little caps to that fit on top of the unsightly brass spindle and then get knocked off when SWMBO goes round with the "sucker" device that swallows up any loose item, useful or not.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Now I have to have all internal doors open or the cat kicks off.

But if you are allowed to shut doors the movable thermostat would work.

BTW cavity wall insulation knocked 30% off my heating bills - non standard construction with a gable end facing Emley Moor

Reply to
ARW

Has the bathroom rad got a manual valve on it? If so that would be one reason an installer would leave another path open since a end user could shut off the bathroom rad.

Reply to
John Rumm

Apart from SWMBO who, if typical, will always be calling for heat

Reply to
Andrew

That's your no 1 problem to solve then. Systems with no room stat are quite wasteful.

Reply to
Animal

Thanks. I thought that was always likely but wanted to just check.

As for terminology, I've seen them called various things - from memory "safety caps", "valve cap", and "valve cover". "Decorator's cap" would be a logical addition given it's not a good idea to get paint on the valves.

Reply to
Robin

Both rads are identical with identical connections, though the one in the hall is twice the size. Neither have any manual adjustment ie they both need a spanner to alter settings.

I'm struggling to understand the logic of the problem. If the hall radiator had a manual valve I'd turn it down to off. How does the system know the difference between doing that and turning the lockshield (is that the right terminolgy) off? Presumably I'm just going to raise the temperature of all the other rads on the system causing their TRVs to kick in and thus for the boiller temperature control to limit the boiler and reduce my gas consumption.

I can understand the scenario where the boiler is controlled solely by a thermostat in a room and if that was the room where I'd turned off the radiator the boiler would think it was always cold but that isn't my situation. I have the temperature control on the boiler set to 1 or 2 in cooler weather and wind it up to about 5 or 6 when it is really cold, and adjust the timer for day/night and additionally for if we are in/out. All very 1960s but no second guessing required.

I keep procrastinating about changing the boiler (combi) - it is 16yrs old. Now I don't know what to do for the long (next 10-15yrs) term.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Tell me about it. Not helped by SWMBO originating from a tropical area. She would have the heating on now that the summer heat has gone.

Reply to
AnthonyL

It may be worth considering your options now as in the next few years the installation of new gas boilers may be discouraged in favour of air sourced heat pumps or all electric heating. With a update consider some of the more modern forms of room thermostats or temperature control.

Reply to
alan_m