Turning oil tank valve off

Big a dummy question I suspect, but it's not obvious to me how to turn off the valve to prevent oil coming out of my oil tank.

I have one of these on my tank:

on the front, which I assume is the valve, there is some sort of curved cover (looks like the thing on the _back_ of the valve in the picture linked to aboe). Originally it was sitting there, but hadn't "bitten" on the thread. I pushed it in, assuming to turn it clockwise to turn the valve off (as indicated on the valve). However, it wouldn't bite and screw in turning clockwise. Pushing it in and turning anti-clockwise it does bite and screws in. Have I turned it off?

Cheers, Piers

Reply to
Piers Finlayson