Trying to determine the exact centre line of a party wall

The daft thing is that when my neighbours planned a further extension set back 6" from the boundary, my official comments on their plans was to suggest that they built right up to the boundary, with any fascia overhanging my land - so that if I wanted to build an extension in the future, it could be butted right up to their brickwork, just like the existing extensions!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Nice notion. And did they do it? And if they had, and if you then decided to move without building your matching extension, would the fascia overhang have proved a problem for your house sale, I wonder?

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

As it happened, they decided to build a much smaller extension than they'd originally planned - only half-width, so it comes nowhere near the boundary.

I can see that if they'd done it, it might have raised questions in the future, but I was willing to take the risk - especially as their

*existing* extension is about a foot taller than ours and their fascia already overhangs our extension.

Just to make it clear, both halves of the semi have existing, flat roofed extensions butted up to each other and extending out the same distance. They then have a new, half-width extension added on, but nowhere near our boundary and we have since added a conservatory about

12" from the boundary.

I'd certainly have no problem buying a house where the nightbours property overhung a little (this one was like that when I bought it) - assuming that it was fascia, tile, gutter or anything else that could be easily removed and a joint incorporated if I ever wanted to build up to the boundary too.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

FWLIW I agree

Again, FWLIW I agree - assuming you get the work done. If not, the main question for them is "what might this mean for selling our house?" I don't know the answer. But in their shoes I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution and at least drop a few hundred on a surveyor's report.

Reply to
Robin

Same conditions imposed for a block of flats built at the bottom of my road. All adjoining property had pitched roofs, the block of flats had a flat roof level with the ridge tiles of the adjoining properties allowing the developer to have an extra storey of flats.

Reply to
alan_m

Barring unforeseen problems, this is going to happen.

I'm very out of touch with buying and selling property these days. Does anyone know if it's obligatory now to disclose to any potential buyer that there had been a boundary-breaching conflict in the past, even if it had been resolved to the satisfaction of both parties and the planning department?

Bert Coules

You wouldn't care make my neighbours a very generous offer, would you? It's a lovely area, this.

Seriously, your attitude in reassuring. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

"... *is* reassuring." I can't write proper today. Apologies.

Reply to
Bert Coules