TRVs - worth the expense?

Bear in mind that most of the useful adjustment is within a few degrees of angular movement - probably between 3 and 4.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

What fails on TRVs? I have not had a failure.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I find it best to listen to the water going through the valve.

Still can't set and forget them.

Reply to
Max Demian

Max Demian wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Agreed - when room is right temp turn down to hear flow being strangled.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The only common fault is that the pin can jam or washer get stuck to seat. Can sometimes be freed off with impact maintenace and/or excersing the pin with a pair of pliers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

I imagine more likely if turned right down?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They get very forcefully shut off when it gets warm in the summer anyway.

Not sure if the temperature setting will affect that force. Can't decide how they operate, do they remain fully open all the time that the temperature is below the set point, then shut with only a degree or two rise in temp. Or do they shut in a nominally linear fashion from "frost" to "Max"? The latter doesn't play nicely with a system balanced on the lock shields so that all radiators heat up together. The TRV heads have to be removed when balancing the system otherwise you'll end up chasing your tail even more than you do anyway.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Surely all set at "5" is as good as removing the heads.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I've not had a problem with the current ones but the ones in the previous house did stick. A gentle 'tap' did the job. It only happened perhaps once a year.

We have DanFoss ones now and they seem much better- ie more effective.

Reply to
Brian Reay

otherwise

Maybe, maybe not. Depends what temperature "5" is and how hot the room gets as you are balancing the system. How long that takes depends on the layout of the radiators. If it's just upstairs and down stairs sets of parallel connected radiators it'll probably not take long but if it's like the system here with spur(s) from the main loop(s) with one or two radiators on it becomes a right bar steward to balance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice