TRVs again

I have 8 radiators, all/each fitted with a TRV, all fitted horizontally as recommended by the manufacturer, although the plumber who fitted them was not aware of this(I also have a room thermostat, but the TRV in bathroom is always set to maximum and there is also an automatic bypass internal to my combi).

The TRVs are birectional so could have been fitted to the flow or return, but the manufacturer recommends to fit to the return(coolest) end of the radiators.

The plumber has fitted 6 TRVs to the returns(fortuitously, as he had not been aware of the manufacturers recommendations), but the remaining 2 on the flow.

The plumber has (or says he has) balanced the system.

My question is(if he has balanced the system), when the TRVs begin to control at different temperatures and/orI fully close the 2 TRVs(in bedrooms) which have been fitted to the flow, will the system still remain balanced and function correctly?

Keith G. Powell

Reply to
Keith G. Powell

Should do.

The only reason for fitting them on the return is that they are less affected by radiated/conducted heat from the radiator.

The two TRVs fitted to the flows may beed setting higher for a given heat output.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Yes. It doesn't really matter whether they're on the flow or return as long as they're configured correctly. [Many bi-directional TRVs have a little gizmo which has to be set to one of two positions depending on flow direction].

With an all-TRV system, the main point of balancing is to ensure an even warm-up- during which time they are all open, anyway. Once rooms get up to temp and the TRVs start operating, the relative flow between rads is controlled by the TRVs rather than by the initial balance.

Reply to
Set Square

I've never known a plumber to balance a system...

david

Reply to
Lobster