TRVs on flow or return?

My radiators have some TRVs installed on the flow pipe, and some on the return. Lockshields are on the other end of the rads.

Is this OK?

I believe the TRVs *should* be on the flow pipe.

But *must* they be on the flow?

You can get bi-directional TRVs that can live on the flow or return, so i guess its not too important.

Last question, one TRV is producing a "shuddering" noise when it stops the flow. Is this because it is broken, or on the wrong end of radiator (or possibly both) and needs replacing?

thanks for any info.

IA

Reply to
IA

Classic symptom of one being used in the 'wrong' direction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is a symptom of a TRV on the return. Most bi-directional TRVs simply have small holes restricting the flow so the 'shuddering' you describe is less likely to occur, although one (the Randall(?) RAS-C Revolver) lets you reverse the flow through the TRV body if this occurs.

In your case your options are (a) move the TRV to the flow end of the rad (b) turn the TRV body through 90 degrees so it's aligned with the flow (which means the head will protrude horizontally rather than standing up vertically) (c) replace with a RAS-C revolver, adjusted appropriately (d) replace with any other TRV, which may be less likely to judder.

Reply to
John Stumbles

The message from John Stumbles contains these words:

The closer TRV heads are to the heat the less notice they take of room temperature in general so a horizontal head on the return gives the best chance of restricting changes in room temperature when outside conditions vary.

Reply to
Roger

Many modern ones claim to work equally well on either end. However I found that with a TRV on a return (new install, no easy way to know which was flow and return in advance - 50/50 chance ;-) it whistled as it closed down, so had to swap it anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

But this can be a short-lived advantage if there are small children around who stand on the handily-placed TRV head as though it were a step :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles