Trimming Worktops

I am cutting some kitchen worktops and the plan is to saw them roughly to size and then finish them to size using the router. The question is if I leave say a max. of 5mm to trim will I be able to do the routing in one pass. I have a 2100W router and the worktops are the standard 40mm. I do have a 71/4? circular saw which I have used from the reverse side but have never really been happy with the results. I have a Trend routing jig for cutting curves and cutouts using a 30mm guide bush which I have been happy with the results on other boards both on the finish and accuracy using the straight slot. Anyone with any experience of routers please?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I suppose the simple answer is suck it and see. I'd be inclined to use the 5mm overhang and try trimming 2-3mm off it and see how it goes. If all goes well then then take the final lighter trim off. I'd start with a fresh bit. I find replaceable blade bits the cheapest and best way to do this . I use Wealden and find them excellent

fred

You probably could manage it in one pass - however it will be easier to do in two or three.

(You could make a 10mm pass to make sure you get a clean edge on the laminate, then do the rest in a second pass).

Propping the jig so that the free edge can't bend down under the weight of the tool helps as well - stops you getting a very slight bevel on the cut.

Reply to
John Rumm

5mm is a bit optimistic

for best results I try to cut to about 2mm

Less chance of cracking the finish too

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher