trimming aluminium sheet

What's the best way to clean up the edges of 1.6mm aluminium sheet, to get then dead straight and perfectly smooth, and possibly to apply a bevel?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A dreadnought file is probably what you need. It looks coarse but actually produces a surprisingly smooth finish and does not clog as easily as other types of files.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I know how to destroy aluminium sheet very quickly. Accidentally drop it in a bath of PCB etching solution. fizz bang whoosh! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I use a tile file. Coarse one side, fine the other. Doesn't clog on ally. Finish with a sanding block if you want it ultra smooth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use probably the most used tool I have in my toolkit.

A double side permagrit block

Best £15 you will ever spend.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can use a router with a carbide bit,(use a long bit of wood as a guide)

Reply to
F Murtz

Depends on how much trimming you need; if it is more than a couple of millimetres then maybe a circular saw with one of those multi material TCT blades run along a sawboard or batten. Bevel as described by other posters.

Reply to
newshound