Triang Lionel Plastics Engineering Lab.....

did anybody have one of these 60 years ago ? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

There was a plastics kit I wanted at about that time but I'm not sure if it was that one.

Instead I got a poxy Gutenberg printing kit with a bust of Gutenberg, a plastic printing press and a plastic block to print the first page of the Gutenberg Bible plus plastic letters to print anything else. I already had a John Bull printing outfit with rubber letters which worked much better.

'Educational' toys! Spit!

Reply to
Max Demian

John Bell printing sets were cool ....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

In message <am9rH.422309$ snipped-for-privacy@fx08.ams, Jim GM4DHJ ... snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com writes

I had the telephone one, with a bust of Alexander Graham Bell.

Reply to
Graeme

I moved onto an Adana some years later. Of course it's all done by computer these dasy. ;-)

Reply to
charles

Nearly as slow as John Bull was a toy typewriter where you had to turn a dial to select each letter, before then striking a lever to hit it against the paper.

Like this

I think there was also one with both caps and lower case.

The next level of sophistication did have a set of keys, but the mechanism connecting to the strike arms appeared to be nylon strings.

I recall desiring one of the Lionel products, but time has dimmed the memory.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Were they the famous inventor ones that came in fish tank like clear plastic boxes with a cardboard base?

ISTR I had Hero, Bell, Edison, Cartright in that series. I think the model loom might still be in the loft somewhere.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I think those were the ones advertised on the back of Meccano Magazine for £9. *Nine pounds!*

They had a fake tin keyboard and were for gurls who wanted to be typists.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes. I had the clear plastic top for many years afterwards, but little else, although a few of the brass parts are still around. It did work, and quite well.

Reply to
Graeme

Yes educational toys, often the education was taking them apart to see how they worked. Who remembers Magic robot. I was very young when I got it but really any half intelligent child would soon realise that all the answers were displaced from the questions by the same number, so when you put the robot on the mirror the magnet simply lined up the pointer because the base had a notch when placed in the question side that rotated it with respect to that pointer. I guess you were supposed to learn the knowledge in the q and A, but I took it to bits and was more interested in the magnets.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa