Tree stump removal

Copper nails are your answer, or even a few bits of 15mm copper pipe. Either bang a large quantity of nails in the stump - all over the cut surface, or drill a few holes with a wood bit, and bang in lengths of copper pipe. Over the months the stump will rot and be quite easy to remove. 'A lot less bovver'

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

Hugh explained on 03/04/2004 :

I used copper to help kill off some stumps five years ago. It has prevented them regrowing, but it has made little diffence to the speed of the rotting of them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Even better if you can get it is pitassium nitrate. Make sure you leave your Q'ran and burhkah behind when purchasing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just drive over here with a digger darling. Suffolk is made of it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wish I had a digger. But there's clay closer to Leeds ... :-)

I ws in Suffolk last Easter, it seemed to be all flint and sand ... our grand daughters were selling flints to punters.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What on earth would flints be of use to anyone?!!

You know, when I was doing my garden makeover, I built a soil sifter to sift the stones from the (little) soil in the ground (here stones make up at least 50% of the content) and was left with a huge pile of stones. So, what to do with them? I wondered whether I could set up a web site, aimed at the Americans, and offer them a small "slice" of olde England for, say, five bucks a gem, sorry, stone. Each stone would be accompanied by a certificate of genuineness, having been dug from the soil of an English village and washed in spring water from the Thames. A jiffy bag would be about 50 pence, and with a certificate printed on my LaserJet using stock from Paper Direct, I'd make a fortune.

Instead, I thought, bugger that for a game of pixies! And used the stones as hardcore for a garden feature.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

I have no idea. I put that to the girls, that the visitors were walking on the things. They replied, quite reasonably, that they searched for interesting ones, dug them up, cleaned them and graded and priced them. then sat in the hot sun selling them while they could be playing. They didn't offer the option of axe and arrowheads.

I couldn't argue with that ...I can send you a charming picture if you like. They made more than £3 each on one day.

Indeed.

Well you've probably done someone else a favour, given them ideas ...

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You don't seem to understand that we want the ground cleared NOW! And anyway, that method takes longer than months ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Evergreen conifer stumps don't seem to rot very readily, unlike many deciduous species.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Richard Sterry wrote on 03/04/2004 :

These two stumps were (are) from two rather large weeping willow.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, they rot down a treat - I got some very interesting fungae growing on one of my stumps, if you'll pardon the expression.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Hmm, our garden..............

Reply to
chris French

Depends which bit really. Its all classic glacial muck..The sand got washed out towards the coast but the clay is left stuck on the taller bits.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Flint is amongst the toughest - and IMHO most beautiful - wall plating ever. Brick and flint houses last forever mainly.

Makes nice cobble effect paths too, set in mortar.

Other nice wetherprropf effects are ouster shells, and I have seen a house built of glass bottles in the US desert.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're near Meanwood Road, I think ... ?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't know Suffolk. We were at West Stow.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

This would take < 1/2 hour to cut the stump out but leave the laterals with a small stump grinder (I use a Dosko), expect a minimum charge of GBP75+VAT if there is a local contractor.

If you can risk the burning method: drill the centre of the stump as deep as possible and big enough to insert an old exhaust pipe loosely. Fill hole with charcoal and light. Insert exhaust pipe and make sure it can fall under gravity, using a small (I use a 12V LiLo inflator) blower, attach air supply to pipe away from flames. Cover with sacrificial fiberglass blanket. Repeat as necessary.

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie

In message , Mary Fisher writes

a bit further out and west - Lawnswood

Reply to
chris French

That's near enough for me to come with a bucket :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Was that latter a protest against recycling enforcement?

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell