tree roots coming out of shower

I have had roots coming out of the downstairs shower. After removing the drain grate, the roots are not inside the drain pipe, but outside in the crevice between the PVC and concrete. I stopped using downstairs bathroom several weeks ago so no moisture would feed the roots. I also cut down

2 trees on that side of the house. I have sprayed those roots in the shower with glyphosate once a week, but they still advance. I guess it is coming from the jungle in the neighbour's yard. I have dug around the drain junction outside the bathroom, but can't see any roots there, so the must be deep down at that point.

So, is there anything to kill those roots that is not harmful to humans or concrete?

Reply to
116e32s

Sure you don't have Japanese Knot weed? to my mind if its already around the pipework its only a matter of time before it leaks anyway. Might be best to get it investigated sooner rather than later. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Suggest you contact your buildings insurers who will, or should, arrange remedial work and, if the roots are indeed from your neighbour's property, contact him for reimbursement, via his insurers.

Reply to
Graeme

I hope not for his sake. More information here:

But it could just be invasive roots from trees, or some large shrubs. The RHS has a good information page on those. See

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Glyphosate won't get them. It has to applied to green plant material that will photosythesise. Copper sulphate and/or ammonium sulphamate might stop them and weaken them but you really need to worry about how they got into the drain in the first place. If you kill the roots then the foul drains will certainly leak where the root penetrated.

A contact weedkiller that is absorbed by the roots. But you should probably be talking to your house insurer rather than DIY.

Reply to
Martin Brown

+1

I don't think you can just pour a bit of stuff on and assume there's no lasting damage elsewhere.

Reply to
GB

We had a similar situation a few years ago, although in our case, the roots had entered the drain. I initially contacted 'Drain Doctor' people who fed a camera through the drain, to confirm the situation.

I then contacted my insurer who reimbursed the cost of the initial inspection, then arranged a contractor who dug up and repaired the drains.

My financial involvement was the policy excess only - the contractor was paid directly by the insurer. The insurer did mention contacting the neighbour, but whether or not that actually happened, I have no idea.

Reply to
Graeme

Which will mean ever escalating premiums even if they do nothing. Just contacting them could make it difficult to switch insurers in future.

Reply to
Andrew

Not for something like roots. Mention subsidence and you are right, but not for relatively minor claims. In recent years we have claimed for root damage as mentioned, and another claim, around 14k for snow/ice damage to our roof and have had no problem with subsequent renewals either with the same or alternative insurers.

Reply to
Graeme