Treating Rust

I've just bought a s/h bread maker, and there's some rust patches, a few cms round, in the bottom of the oven. Looks like something might have spilled on the (what looks like) zinc coated steel.

Is there any way to treat the rust?

Reply to
RJH

Just to clarify is the rust in the removable bread container or in the cavity where it sits near the heating elements ?

Reply to
Robert

It's in the bottom of the oven, beneath the heating element. Not in the non-stick container.

Reply to
RJH

phosphoric acid sounds better then, it's already in your cola rotting your teeth :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some sort of rust stabilisation should work them. Kurust etc, Local Halfords

Wouldn't want food in contact with it tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That was my first thought.

If, as it sounds, it isn’t in contact with the bread / food, treating with Kurust followed by some high temp paint and a couple of cooking cycles ( dumping the bread if you need to fill it) should be ok.

Reply to
Brian

I've always used Jenolite gel - AIUI it converts the rust into an impermeable layer of iron phosphate.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Not clear how healthy that is in a breadmaker oven tho.

Personally I would just leave it. It is unlikely to keep rusting in an oven where it doesn't get wet.

Reply to
zaq

Wirewool it off and forget about it. It is no where near the bread mix itself which is above the rust and in the removable "baking tin". I see a lot of slow cookers and similar cooking devices with small amounts of rust around the heating part outside the food container in the Charity shop where I volunteer checking electricals. Its just down to how fussy you are about the cosmetics; we are in the Shop !!

Reply to
Robert

Yep, think that's the way. There's a fair bit of condensation at various stages of the baking process, so it's not going to get any better, but I certainly can't think of a non-toxic solution.

Yes, I know, thanks.

Not that bothered about cosmetics - it'll just make spills more difficult to clean and potentially shorten the life. But I paid a pittance and it makes good bread, so hey :-)

Reply to
RJH

I'd have thought the repeated heating and cooling of whatever that is made of might be at best bad for the bread's taste? And possibly toxic?

Reply to
RJH

Most rust removers fall into two categories - those that literally attack iron oxide, but not iron. Those simple remove rust leaving a pitted surface - and those that transform iron oxide to an impervious layer - usually of iron phosphate. In both cases washing off excess after the job is done should remove the active chemistry, but I am less sure how nice a substance iron phosphate is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is stable and it was allowed as a food additive until 2007, so while it may no longer be considered completely safe, I'd not be too worried about it being a surface layer within a breadmaker - even if the food was actually directly exposed to it.

Reply to
SteveW

Nice factoid. Thx

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not good if you're a slug. It's the active ingredient in most modern slug pellets. Said not to be toxic to birds, unlike the earlier slug pellets containing metaldehyde. Mice seem to like the new pellets, and it doesn't seem to do them any harm. They gobble them up when I use them on my garden, which makes keeping the slugs under control, problematical!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Further to Steve's post:

"Iron phosphate is a common chemical with a variety of uses, including as a human nutritional supplement and as an ingredient in fertilizer. The substance is not harmful to humans, to other non-target organisms, or to the environment"

It's not obvious why it might have been banned? I'm sure a trace isn't going to be harmful.

Reply to
Fredxx