Treadmill exercise machine

I rescued a treadmill that someone had thrown out, It looks fairly new, even the clear protective film on the display hadn't been removed.

It soon became evident that the motor had seized up. I found one on Ebay, 1HP 500W 220-240V 3.5A and despite mine saying it was

750W 220-250V 3.5A I decided it was probably the right part anyway and decided to give it a punt for £50 delivered.

But before committing myself I thought I would pull the seized one apart

That hard white grunge seems to have leached out of the stator somehow, it seems like epoxy resin or similar and was fouling the gap between the stator and the permanent magnets. Some careful surgery with a Stanley knife, and reassembly got it rotating freely again.

So after reassembling the machine and checking the PSU and display/keypad PCBs were perfectly dry, the machine had been in the rain for about 12 hours, I plugged it in to be greeted by the display saying "SAFE" and no response from the start button.

Disconnected the motor, thinking the electronics was detecting a shorted winding, but still got the same "SAFE"

To cut what could have been a very long story short, it's a good job I was able to identify what the component circled in red was, as it was pivotal in diagnosing what was missing.

I recon there are quite a few here who will also be able to identity it, and the significance.

Anyway it's working perfectly now.

I wonder if "GymRatZ" will see this, I nearly posted this in uk.telecom.voip Pete. A post about a Salus Sports X-LITE can't be off topic there ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

Good. I was worried for a moment that you had spent the 50 pounds and then fixed it.

At a guess: errq fjvgpu, naq lbh jrne n yvggyr sbo guvat jvgu n zntarg baan fgevat, fb gur gernqzvyy fgbcf fubhyq lbh or guebja bss gur onpx?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Hmmm, isn't it kinda magic that rot-13 for "correct" includes the letters "beer"...

:-)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

These sort of posts do make a complete mess of text to speech. there seems to be no whay to tell it to unlearn the rules of English pronunciation to make the text sort of understandable. Obviously an omission in the design of the synthesizer. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Thomas Prufer writes

Crikey! Long time since I've seen ROT13 used on Usenet :-)

Reply to
Graeme

You don't subscribe to uk.rec.sheds, then?

Reply to
Huge

Yes indeed, but as one who thus so far hasn't been within five furlongs of a tlz, coupled with the fact that the target area on the control panel is just an unlabelled white circle, you can understand why I had to resort to (electrical) first principles to work it out.

Actually I saw it more as a child safety "key" rather than a preivpny fob, and consequently the super strong rare earth magnet I used will turn any lanyard into a ligature...

Reply to
Graham.

Lbh pna purpx bhg, ohg lbh pna arire yrnir.

Reply to
Graham.

That's clearly true. Also you are using Lookout Distress, which is lame newsreader in many ways, but its one saving grace is that it can ROT/UNROT highlited text using the last option on the "edit" menu.

Reply to
Graham.

Correction, that's for Agent. In OE it's the penultimate item under the "message" menu.

Reply to
Graham.

too busy jbexing :-)

Reply to
Graeme

And it looks as if it has heatshrink onnit, glass would have been a clue...

Leave room behind the treadmill, anyway.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I don't know if this is an indictment of Salus Sports in particular, or the health & fitness industry in general, but all the user manuals are available on their website, provided that you have the correct password, which is presumably only given to the original purchaser.

Reply to
Graham.