Dimmable LEDs

Are dimmable LEDs (GU10) always marked as such?

If not - is there a way I can check? Will I cause damage if I try?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Most brands are.

They will just not dim or will flicker. As will the dimmable onea when using an incompatible dimmer!

Reply to
ARW

LEDs with a CR supply fry when dimmed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I just got some new candle LEDs (SES base) from LedHut:

I got the 4W "filament" style to replace a bunch of the 5W single LED on the same page: the 5W had blown several just under the 2 year basic guarantee (I can never be arsed to send in that form for the 5 year warranty).

Anyway, LEDHut credited me without fuss and without wanting the old ones back, so I used to to try the 4W...

Backstory aside:

The 5W are single LED, heavy-ish and clearly have a driver circuit. So this makes them hard to dim as the driver has to do a certain amount of magic.

The 4W seem to have no driver and are glass enveloped, and are about as light as a filament bulb.

I'm guessing they are just a string of LED chips more or less straight across the mains, with the other "filament" the other way around? Maybe with a reactive limiter??? (If anyone knows, I'll be interested).

They dim more smoothly - but have the side effect that at low levels, different bulbs are slightly different brightnesses .

Reply to
Tim Watts