Dimmable lamps

Has anyone tried any of the recent CFL or LED dimmable lamps (properly dimmable - not "switch" dimmable)?

Ideally I need one that is GLS lamp shaped (the shade clips onto the glass of the bulb itself)

Bonus question, anyone found any energy saving lamps (does not need to be dimmable) that give a reasonable light spread when used cap down? Most seem to have so much opaque plastic at the base end the radiation towards the rear is decidedly poor.

Reply to
John Rumm

Main problem is that the load is often too low for a conventional dimmer to work properly, particularly a simple/cheap dimmer. Also, the load may not draw enough current through enough of the mains cycle for such a dimmer to work.

I had that problem recently. Ended up buying a very low efficiency crown silver filament lamp. There are all sorts of innovative directional LED retrofit lamps being manufactured in China, but they are not making their way here in any numbers/variety. I found a picture of a Chinese LED crown silver retrofit in the web, but couldn't find anyone selling it, or who made it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That many not be a problem. We have a number of fittings that are designed for 5 GLS lamps, and modern touch dimmers. So even if only 15W each they ought to be within the load range of the switch. Also I don't mind running a combination with a regular GLS in there along with others

- based on some of the CFLs I have tried it can be the only way to get decent spectral output.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got a couple of the Digiflux (mine *are* switch-dimmable but they do have a proper-dimmer variant too) in general I don't mind CFL, but they're a bit "meh". internal dimmer buzzes on low brightness, colour changes from dim pink to bright yellow.

These are spirals, and quit elarge too, hand to bend the frame of an uplighter to get lamp to fit in.

Reply to
Andy Burns