traditional ropes

Before or after ?

Ideally you're supposed to regularly clean out nestboxes in any case so as to remove any dead nestlings, fleas, and old nests allowing the birds to bring in fresh nesting materials. So any screws could be removed once the box was no longer considered viable.

This is of course on the assumption that these are closed boxes with an access hole.

michael adams

michael adams

Won't the boxes be visited every couple of years or so to check they are not restricting the growth of the trees, which would allow the use of secure fixings (eg nylon straps) which can be removed when the boxes reach the end of their natural lives?

Reply to
Robin

Ask the sawmill

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hemp, but not tarred rope if you want it to rot. Some ropes also stretch or shrink as well so its worth bearing that in mind. I'll bow to others, but I'd just say, beware of some natural ropes as they are made of all sorts of crap.

As a matter of interest, why does it all need to be bio degradable? I would it not be better to simply take them down clean them up and remove your non bio degradable stuff at that time? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I'd not want to be the bird in the box when your rope gives way in the middle of a gale. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

michael adams laid this down on his screen :

Might a suitable legal notice above the entrance to the nesting box, 'Use at your own risk' - obviate the risk of being sueded by an injured bird?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Also discolours Oak. The last *blue Oak* stain I followed turned out to be a fixing for a telephone cable run. Probably fitted around 60 years ago.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Some Owl boxes put up here (edge of spinney facing 17 acres of permanent grass) were ignored by potential residents.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Would leather straps be an option?

Reply to
ss

Wire? Or whatever they used to use for ship's rigging?

Reply to
RJH

Or osier shoots?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes it will and a lot worse than using an aluminium nail, aluminium being for the benefit of future sawyers, trees don't mind steel.

Reply to
AJH

Or just long strands of willow, now I think of it ? Woven into a crude rope.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Aluminium nails are less harmful than lengths of wooden dowel, are they ?

michael adams

michael adams

You've invented the branch

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes in that the penetration is immediatly sealed and very small compared with removing a plug to a depth which likely compromises the tree's ability to limit fungal action.

Reply to
AJH

That is exactly why I am wondering if a rope of natural fibre will last as long as my wooden box or longer.

TW

Reply to
TimW

No. I want a fixing which can be expected to outlast the wooden box, but not last forever.

TW

Reply to
TimW

I want the whole arrangement to be immune to accusations of littering. I don't want it to last as long as it can but ultimately to biodegrade to nothing. I don't want the method of mounting to fail prematurely.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Thanks, that's really useful info! TW