Toyota Aygo boot leak

Haven't got an Aygo so hard to visualise but..... Spray the metal with wd40 before sticking the seal back on? So you can get it off when it doesn't work & you need a new seal or similar ...

Reply to
Jim K...

Driving me mad - I am thinking it is water getting behind the boot lid seal. The seal presses over the rim of the boot lid opening.

I am thinking of pulling off the seal and putting a bead of silicone into the gripping U section of the seal and pressing it back on.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
John

Had this with a Nissan. There could be a very small weld/joint in the boot that is letting in water. Difficult to see. A spot of silicone on the weld/joint sorted it out.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Such things can be bastards to find. It might be a leak path from somewhere completely different. In the old days garages sometimes put an ultrasonic source inside the car and wandered around the outside with a detector. Interesting to see there are relatively cheap ones around now. (Sorry for crap links, just google direct).

newshound

I recall seeing this many years ago when I was a car saleman at a VW dealership.

I think I know where it is now - it is water passing into a channel in the seal section - and running round and then into the car.

Reply to
John

Can also be the lamp clusters.

Reply to
GB

+1 SWMBO's Hyundai had a persistent leak which I (eventually!!) fixed by rubbing sealant into a small seam above the hatchback door
Reply to
nothanks

GB snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com wrote in news:qnl472$vro$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yes - the gasket at the back - I have sorted that. Water is coming in above the rear light housing,

Reply to
John

Or the rear windscreen seal.

Reply to
harry

One thing worth remembering is that not all parts of a car are meant to be watertight. I had a 'leak' on an Audi A3 that was actually an intended drain, but the rubber drain grommet was blocked- the rear quarter had several inches of water in it that overflowed into the spare wheel well- removing the grommet and cleaning it stopped it.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The rear window is the lid!

Reply to
John

Yes this will work. I did this after many other attempts with other seals to no avail. Use plenty of silicone sealant and you will solve the problem

Reply to
Simon Mack

I see Home Owners Hub has stopped putting dates on posts. It just says the original post was 11 months ago. Did you miss that?

Reply to
The Other John

I am surprised it worked. In my experience the only real solution is a new seal which are usually quite expensive new but perhaps not for Toyotas.

The one for my Range Rover was an arm and a leg.

Reply to
Radio Man