Totally OT - Recruiting from Overseas (Engineering not crop picking)

Brexit Britain will not expel someone who is already here legally. Britain (Brexit or otherwise) will not restrict highly skilled personnel if it can be demonstrated there is a local shortage.

Reply to
bert

Pay them the market rate

It's called flexible employment market.

Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Jac Brown snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I bet you would.

There is an Oscar Wilde anecdote along those lines

Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

The Oscar Wilde story. Woman on train.

Reply to
bert

In other words someone who has been trained by someone else.

Reply to
bert

I doubt it's the same one you are on, or so it seems.

what do you mean by "I found it very rewarding to have apprentices" it what way.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The US healthcare market is far from a free market. It's even more distorted than here.

Those aren't free markets either.

Telecoms...

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sorry, Dave. Forgot the only reward you can think of is money.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Suggest you tell Turnip. Who adores Trump and hangs on his every word. They tend to share the same vocabulary.

Really? Weren't they privatized by your idol Thatcher? Or are you now saying she f**ked that up too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

that's childish

That's childish too. She didn't set them up to be free markets. Maybe you don't understand that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Which part? That she is your idol or she f**ked it up?

I do understand that her sole reason was to make money from them. Certainly not to provide the best value to the consumer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't recall the nationalised or monopoly industries doing much for the _customer_ either in terms of service or value for money.

Reply to
alan_m

The idol bit. She did one or 2 things that were sorely needed, the rest of the time she was pretty much demented.

The point is those markets were heavily restricted & regulated. Freer than before, but not free markets.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

the huge barrier to entry makes it somewhat inevitable

tim

Reply to
tim...

I never mentioned money as the only reward that is why I was asking.

Sex is another reward it even happens here, which is why 87% of admin staff are women, and all PAs to the academics are women.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Absolute lowest cost of generation with dispatch in merit order is one that existed from nationalisation and slowly fell apart at privatisation.

Under nationalisation the return on capital was minimised to keep the final cost to consumers as low as possible. Yes they employed hundreds of thousands but there was also lots of employment in the rest of the country in the private sector in civil's and manufacturing industry for boilers, turbines, generators, pumps, switchgear, transformers, cables. Plus lots of UK based research in the entire power generation, transmission and distribution field. Almost all now gone 'overseas'

In the 1980's we, as a country, could build a 2GW coal fired power station without any 'foreign' help in around half a decade. Now, regardless of fuel source we have totally lost that design and construction ability.

As for what else happened after privatisation then this case involving Powergen in the early 1990's is typical

From Power Systems Restructuring: Engineering and Economics Published 1998 edited by Marija Ilic, Francisco Galiana, Lester Fink

ISBN-13: 978-0792381631 Page 154-155

--

Reply to
The Other Mike

Ah - OK

But you think sex a correct reward for helping to train someone?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The huge barrer to entry is partly due to the nature of the thing and partly due to government policy. India does have a relatively free market in healthcare, it looks very different to ours or the US's.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's not accurate with the labour costs alone.

That's not accurate either and is the result of doing that stuff as cheaply as possible.

Reply to
Jac Brown

Normally one trains oneself.

An engineer's salary represents his output value. One with limited experience won't command the same salary.

Even new graduates can make a substantial contribution to a company, hiring one with a track record costs more but is a lower risk.

Reply to
Fredxx