Unwanted crop ...

This afternoon I started to break ground for a garden at our Ozark Hideaway . Much to my dismay , I didn't see a single worm - but then it's still pretty early , and the ground is pretty cold . What I *did* find was a bumper crop of rocks ... probably why they named it Stone County ! I'm trying to get an early start , on my way out of town tomorrow I plan on dropping a soil sample off at the county extension office for analysis . Might as well start it off right .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Your soil most likely can be amended, unless it has a high salt content. If the thought of making a stone wall is too unappetizing, you could always put in raised beds, which are also easier on the back.

Reply to
Billy

Ever heard of Arkansas field stone ? Those rocks are destined to become foundation piers/walls for our new home up here . I seriously doubt there will be a lot of salt in the soil , this is a well drained slight slope that has been wooded until recently . Most of the land is heavily wooded , mostly oaks , hickory , etc with patches of cedars . The clearing is well covered with grasses and a few wild flowers . I suspect if anything the soil will be acidic from many years of oak leaf mulch . Blackberry patches in every cleared area , along the roads and power line easements thru the woods ... and blueberries and muscadines in the woods. I call it Hillbilly Heaven .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Enjoy your rocks ;O))

Reply to