TOT: Weeping for long-gone days

The infamous Nazi (or so I thought as a child)

Reply to
Reentrant

I wonder why the BBC has never made all episodes of "Watch With Mother" available on DVD.

I understand that there are a maximum of twenty-six episodes of each of them:

Picture Book (Monday) Andy Pandy (Tuesday) Bill And Ben (Wednesday) Rag, Tag and Bobtail (Thursday) and The Woodentops (Friday).

Five box sets with about 4 and a half hours of video in each (two discs).

Reply to
JNugent

Maybe not all the episodes are available any more. The BBC wasn't very careful with its stock. I don't think all the epsiodes of The Good Life are still available.

MM

Reply to
MM

Given that they were made for 405 line B&W they ought to compress rather well. You might even get them on one disc without too much trouble.

Though as I write this I imagine some bod in the Beeb's marketing reading over my shoulder, and just _assuming_ I'm right without checking :(

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I assume they were originally on film. So in principle might look better now on DVD than when first broadcast! However in practice I guess any remaining film may not be in perfect condition.

Just found

The site makes the point that the broadcasts may be out of copyright because they were first transmitted prior to the old time expiry. This used to be 50 years. It was changed a few years ago, but not extended to cover items that had already gone out of copyright.

Jim

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lesurf

I remember the amazement of a bike wheel dynamo creating electricity when I was in early junior school. Playing with electric trains I also knew that leckie made a motor spin. A while later I asked my much older brother 'if I connect a motor to the dynamo and spin it, will it spin forever?'. I think he muttered about losses or something and said it wouldn't. I then suggested using a lower Voltage motor so it would spin faster and therefore keep going. Brother was unable to come up with reason why it wouldn't!

Reply to
Richard Jones

In message , Richard Jones writes

I remember having exactly the same idea, although mine involved a bicycle wheel being mounted on an electric motor spindle, the motor being driven by a bicycle dynamo against the wheel. I could not see why, having given the wheel a quick spin, it would not revolve forever.

Reply to
News

I actually built a gear train in mecxano that would make one shafr spin faster than another, and then coupled it back to the input shaft. Of course it locked up solid.

It wasn't till several years later that Physics gave me the answer.

Remember most of the Labour party, all of the Liberal party and a large fraction of the Tory party have never studied Physics, and certainly not the hard Left.

We live in a highly technological society governed by people who have absolutely no concept of science physics or engineering.

And you wonder its a complete cockup?

Worse, the system eventually rejects anyone who does understand basic science...Thatcher, Edwina Curry, and David Nutt..

David Mackay did better than most, and is largely responsible for the fact that we are now looking seriously at nuclear power.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Political careers always end in failure. But in their cases, or at least the first two, not before they achieved high office.

Reply to
Norman Wells

Sums are a social construct of middle class European white men.

Reply to
Huge

People in charge, i.e. politicians, managers and bosses of all descriptions, don't like to recruit anybody cleverer than themselves, presumably because it threatens their own power. I don't see how this can change unless we make real knowledge and experience of something practical a prerequisite for appointment to any position of power. The "who you know rather than what you know" process just results in numbskulls being appointed to jobs they can't do.

Rod.

Reply to
Roderick Stewart

I love it when you talk dirtyLefty.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

*grin*

Although I wish I were joking about the nonsense the Left come out with.

Reply to
Huge

A few years back the papers here wrote up a Land Rover branded BMX bike. I suggested they did something like you describe - rear wheel dynamo, front wheel motor - so that it could then be described as a AWD bike. Of course this would also deliver a bike that took more effort to pedal (but then AWD vehicles do use more fuel) but I am sure plenty of people would have been taken in

Reply to
Tony Bryer

My younger sister always thought that Barbara Castle was doing an impression of Lenny the Lion whenever she appeared on TV.

Reply to
JNugent

Funny you should say that, I thought something similar. There definitels was a similarity in phrasing as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff