TOT: The Tour de France in Swaledale

Hello everyone

The Tour de France in Yorkshire was incredible! We had a brilliant time.

To see the pictures of our trip to Usha Gap, Swaledale, and le Tour, open the link below. When the grid of pictures appears click on the first one, which is top left. That picture should then appear large size. To progress through the pictures click on the current picture anywhere, or on the right-pointing arrow below the picture, or use the right pointing arrow on your keyboard. To copy the original high resolution version of any picture (so you can save or print it), right click on the picture, then select ?download?.

Bill and Hil

Reply to
Bill Wright

Nice set of pictures interesting the advertising trucks, didn't see that wh en they came past my road. A couple of hunmdred yards before the idiot phot ographer stood too far out from the pavement.

whisky-dave

They started coming through a couple of hours before the bikes.

I was pretty impressed as well, great photos Bill, take a look at my videos of the goings on in Leyburn. Sadly the bastards at ITV cut to adverts from quarter of a mile before Leyburn. Anyone know if un broadcasted footage is available anywhere?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

The Eurosport , ESPN, ARD (German) and Sporza (Belgian) coverage as well as that from ITV is at

While the raw source footage of the race is exactly the same the different broadcasters often choose different points at which they take breaks.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Are the folks on the Yorkshire Tea vehicle really wearing fall arrest harnesses?

Reply to
John Rumm

It certainly looks like it - but then they are British and we take full notice of Elf and Safety. Probably just enough slack to allow you to be dragged along the road surface rather than rolling clear :-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

John Rumm wrote in news:64idnaMqFoPJ- snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

On the Fruit Shoot picture there is a hoody idiot with a scarfe around his face. Trying to look like a thug?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

/On the Fruit Shoot picture there is a hoody idiot with a scarfe around his face. Trying to look like a thug? /q

Too many fruit shoots. Ghastly stuff. Banned here (a cote de my house)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

The ones I saw clearly were clipped on well inside the vehicle. Most were French vehicles, many with French staff. Only the first three days of the tour were in the UK...

In message , John Rumm writes

It looked a bit like it on some of the other vehicles as well.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Peter Andrews wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com:

Perhaps the job advert should have specified that it was for people who would be happy to fall off a moving truck. The opposite of "Safety" is "Unsafe". Employer obliged to take care of its employees. How could an employer really know how good the sense of balance of the employee would be if the truck made a sudden manaevour.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I always know the day is not going to be a good one when the first thing you need out the van is the arrest harness.

Reply to
ARW

Contrast and compare with the cameraman riding pillion in a standing position on the back of a motorcycle.

IME* carnival style floats tend to plod along at pedestrian speeds - falling off one is unlikely to be significantly different experience whether moving or not.

  • I grew up in walking distance of Southend seafront that used to host one of the most countries most elaborate carnival processions each year
200 - 300 floats not being uncommon - once in august and again later in the year as a "torchlight" procession. Never recall seeing any one "roped on"
Reply to
John Rumm

However, listen to this weeks Inside Health on Radio four before you jump on your cycle. It seems to be only available as download/podcast these days, not I player for some odd reason only the bbc understand. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You should have seen the speed they came past my house, two abreast sometimes! to drive slowly past the main crowds they have to belt along quiet stretches to keep ahead of the bikes.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

And before you climb up and start using it do you check that it'll stop you before you hit something and that there is at least couple of people onsite who know how to recover you, possibly unconcious, from the end of your rope?

It appears that the elfin safety box is ticked by merely wearing a harness that is attached to something. Little facts like the "something" not being strong enough to take the load, the distance the fall arrest device needs being greater than the fall distance and no proper recovery plan for some one dangling doesn't come into it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They certainly are, as were all the people sitting or even standing on the open caravane vehicles. If you'd seen them hurtling down the back side of Holme Moss you would understand why. I was very glad to have a crash barrier between myself and the convoy.

Reply to
jfflkjflkjflkdfj