; TOT; Piggin passwords

I don't see either of those being easier/better than the other from the point of view of entering the characters. I'd still have to 'say' (hopefully in my head) the characters of the password for both of them.

Reply to
cl

Perhaps I was misreading what you were suggesting...

Say the system requested characters 1, 2, and 3, and the password was 8 characters long, I was assuming you meant it should display:

Enter the requested characters: ? ? ? - - - - -

Which discloses the length. Are you actually suggesting that it only pads the missing characters far enough to reach the last requested digit? Is so, yup that would be fine, although I soppose it might confuse a some people who then think it does not match their word because the length is wrong.

Reply to
John Rumm

Can you reall synchronise them so that the password matches the month though?

The only system I use which does this asks for a change every three months or so, by the time I need to enter the password again I will have forgotten when the last change was. Fortunately it doesn't have password history so I simply change the password to something boring and then change it back to the original one.

Reply to
cl

Well it is on my iPhone 6. You can always enter your PIN instead. And very useful that facility is too.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Obviously people's brains work in different ways. To me the big difference is that in the second case you wouldn't have to count at the same time as you're 'spelling' the password.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Possibly. I'd be interested to hear from one of the people who've said in this thread that some banks do things that way (e.g. Santander IIRC).

Quite irrelevantly, I imagine my bank has confused more than one customer by asking for the "penultimate" character.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Its both. Much more convenient to put your finger on the sensor than to fart around with a passwords and much more secure too when using it to pay with your phone etc.

Reply to
Blanco

Ah, I was forgetting the pervasiveness of smartphones. I have virtually nothing on my smartphone that involves any sort of security. Thus my smartphone is virtually unsecured, no PIN at turn on or whatever, but the only thing anyone could steal (apart from the phone itself) is five or ten pounds worth of top-up.

Reply to
cl

No, several sites I use, including a bank, will not distinguish between upper and lower case and will not allow punctuation.

I've suggested they change but they're deaf to that.

Store them in eWallet.

yeah sure, what sort of arse hole would admit on-line to taking money from anothers account ? yes the sort that's clueless.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In article , David Lang writes

Didn't they ask you for your mobile phone number to send a confirmatory text. They don't seem to be able to cope with the fact that land lines can now receive texts.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

So have Lloyds and TSB

Reply to
bert

That immediately tells how long your password is.

Reply to
bert

In article , T i m writes

It says use numbers and letters and at least one of the list of special characters. £ fits neither criteria

Reply to
bert

and Bank of Scotland and CAF Bank, both of which I use. Lloyds business is a bit more complex involving a code reader. Assuming you can remember the password, just count the letters against your fingers. You don't even have to say the word out loud. But it does assume you can count.

Reply to
charles

Before the fingerprint reader I too used to have an iPhone without a PIN, because there was nothing worth protecting.

Now I find that the fingerprint reader is even quicker and more convenient than the usual swipe method. I just press the home button and I'm in. *Therefore* it's no problem to have a PIN as well, which means that everything on the phone including my meagre call credit is protected without the inconvenience that routine PIN entry would entail.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No it doesn't. But to avoid confusion I'll change that to:

Enter the requested characters: ? - - ? ? - - ? Your password might be longer than that.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

But a well implemented phone is vastly more secure than any card or cash can ever be. Completely trivial to have it wipe itself once it decides that it isnt the owner who has it in its hands, it can send video of who is holding it and send a full log of where the phone is physically etc.

And with transactions done with a card, its vastly more secure to use a fingerprint than a PIN etc too.

The worst that might happen is that the phone decides that its not the owner when it still is the owner, or the owner forgets to turn that auto wipe off before handing the phone to someone who can't currently use their own phone or doesn?t have one and has asked to borrow it. All that means is that can't be used again until you get the system reloaded after you have authorised that. Just a nuisance in that unlikely situation.

Reply to
Blanco

It's also full of apps from all sorts of questionable sources, even if I don't add any of my own. What those apps do with the data you put in your phone is anybody's guess.

Reply to
cl