TOT: Modern car lights: reasoning?

On 18/09/2014 18:33, David wrote: ...

Not really your problem - the child will be hit by one of the cars coming the other way.

I think you need to see an optician if you find DRLs create glare.

Reply to
Nightjar

When the law was brought in in Belgium (1982?), it was an offence at any time. [Don't know about other countries.]

Don't know about other countries.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Not if they are stationary.

As usual, I failed to express my thoughts exactly...

If pedestrians are being hit by cars they do not see, it is the fault of the pedestrian, if the car is not travelling too fast ??

Maybe pedestrians should be wearing huge flashing hats...

Not only DRLs, but badly aligned headlights and illegal Xenon conversions, too.

I have been told that it is due to my brain chemistry.

I also find the LED brake lights from Audis and Mercedes far too bright, with the idiot drivers who cannot / will not use the handbrake...

David

Reply to
David

On 19/09/2014 12:03, David wrote: ...

Statistically, yes. For fatal and injury accidents involving pedestrians reported to the Police in 2011, 57% had a contributory factor of pedestrian failed to look properly, 32% pedestrian careless, reckless or in a hurry, 17% pedestrian failed to judge vehicle's path or speed and

11% pedestrian impaired by alcohol. This adds up to more than 100% because an accident may have up to six contributory factors attributed to it, so some accidents will have had two or more of these factors together.

As the majority don't have that problem and DRLs have been shown to produce significant reductions in accidents, that doesn't seem to be a very good reason not to have them.

I haven't had a hand brake in any car I've owned this century. I do have a parking brake, but that is foot operated. Not that I would normally use it when driving. If the stop is only temporary, I like the drivers coming up behind me to see very obvious brake lights. At a longer stop, such as a level crossing, I will put the car into Park once I have enough vehicles behind me to absorb an impact from somebody who can't see that the queue is stopped.

I don't have a great deal of faith in the observational abilities of the average driver. I've seen three different drivers only narrowly avoid rear-ending a Police car that was sitting in the outside lane of a NSL dual carriageway, with blue and red lights flashing, there being a clear view of them from over a mile away.

Reply to
Nightjar

I second that. Colin - how old are you? 40s? 50s? If you're in your

60s, and do NOT find a problem with glare from the lights mentioned above by David, then it's _you_ who's in the minority. LED lights are far too bright for the purpose intended -- period.

And I bet you don't find a problem with the brake LEDs of cars in a queue ahead of you because you're sitting in a high 4x4, i.e. higher than us plebs! :-)

John

Reply to
Another John

In article ,

Reply to
Tim Streater

Reply to
Nightjar

I have never had a problem with glare from lights that other people complain about. In the 1960s, you would probably have been one of those complaining about the glare from halogen headlamps, but I doubt you consider those to be a problem today. I didn't then.

You would lose that bet. I don't have a problem with LED brake lights, but I drive an estate car, not a 4x4.

Reply to
Nightjar

e not putting their lights on when it's dusk.

, they can seem too bright when it's dusk - but if it's dusk people should have turned their lights on, at which point DRLs go off (or go dimmer).

Yes but DRLs dont illuminate the dashboard so the pillocks with no side lig hts on are that way through ignorance. They would have had no lights on at all if they hadn't DRLs. I see no valid use for DRLs on the rear of the vehicle. If following vehic les feel it necessary to have light on then the reflectors will pick up on them.

DRLS weren't a Volvo idea. Day time lights were compulsory during the Swedi sh change over from driving on the left to driving on the right. This APPAR ENTLY reduced accidents though how they established this is beyond me as th ey would have no statistics to go on.

Personally I think automatic lights would be far superior.

Reply to
fred

Lets face it. The real object of LEDs is to let everyone know you have the latest model car.

Reply to
fred

ISTR that a large percentage of pedestrians involved in raod accidents had alcohol taken.

My car has an automatic handbrake and I find it very annoying that it keeps the brake lights illuminated while it is on as prior to having this feature I was always very conscious of the drivers behind suffering from my brake lights

Reply to
fred

Halogen in the [19]60s? No - never a problem for me then -- not only because "in those days" garages were required to test the alignment of a car's beams (Cor! Imagine that!), but mainly because I've definitely noticed an increased sensitivity to glare (from any lights)in *my* own

60s.

LED lights (or Xenon, or whatever these things are) aggravate this naturally occurring problem, because -- as several others have remarked

-- they increase the brightness a great deal (without improving the actual illumination).

John

Reply to
Another John

In which case, I suggest you visit an optician. Your iris is smaller than it was in your youth, so bright lights should be less noticeable. However, problems with glare could be due to the lens losing clarity and may be an early sign of a cataract.

Reply to
Nightjar

As I have said before, for me (in my fifties) that was a symptom of hypothyroidism rather than age. It feels as if my sensitivity has returned to how it always used to be. Mind, without any means of measuring/calibrating that, it is obviously subjective.

Reply to
polygonum

I have an Audi with all LED rear lights, but I have retrofitted the "hold assist" button which when engaged (once per journey) all I have to do is come to a halt and then release the foot brake, the car will hold itself on all four brakes using the ABS servo but brake lights are off, rather than using the motor driven parking brake, as soon as I touch the accelerator again, it releases and I'm off ... they really should make it standard, but that's not the German way, you have to buy the options.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Good point, but erroneous. The influx of halogens made much more noticeable the percentage of cars with badly adjusted lights, that's all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hah. My ShiteOldCommerVan had the brake lights operated by the footpedal (of course) and the handbrake. What a stunningly stupid idea that was.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

How do these headlights manage to go off so far after the last MoT?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I disagree. My halogen headlights were meticulously adjusted, but I would still regularly get people flash me when driving on dipped headlights. Some even put their headlamps on full and left them on, at least until I also went onto full beam.

Reply to
Nightjar

Likely.

I guess most of us are old enough to remember the headlamp wattage limitation for Tungsten filaments of 65Watts full beam and 55Watts dipped.

Heaven knows what the lumen comparison would be with what comes at you over the speed humps today:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb