TOT: Modern car lights: reasoning?

On Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:59:38 PM UTC+1, David wrote: snip

Dunno. My automatic parking brake requires no intervention once it is set. The car stops, it comes on automatically. I press the accelerator it releases automatically.

In addiion when I stop the engine the automatic gearbox automatically goes into Park regardless of whether the parking brake is applied..

Reply to
fred

OK, not heard of that, sounds good, better than the 'drive-off assistant' or 'hill-start assistant' cars we've had, but not used the feature.

One one of our cars (T/C auto 8 speed) does that when the ignition is turned off (I think), and as soon as the drivers door is opened, the 'box selects park. Bloody annoying if you need to open the door for a better look when reversing... I shall try the other one later to see if it does that too, same engine, different 'box (DCT 7 speed).

David

Reply to
David

I was behind a horse trailer today that was fitted with LED brake and turn lamps. These were a tightly-packed matrix 75mm square, filled with small LEDs en-bloc. They were bloody bright to me, in full daylight and I was a good few feet above them. They'd have been crap in the dark and rain, a total pain in the arse. I use LEDs in my bike lamps - LED substitutes for the normal bulbs and I take care the output is approx the same as was typical for the old ones. It's not particularly difficult to do, and the problem is caused by designers / chancers seeming to regard more = better, which isn't the case always. Unfortunately, the lumems output of car lamps isn't regulated, just the wattage, so that leaves the door wide open for cowboys, wankers, and awkward bastards.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon