TOT: MMR vaccination for adults

It was the ?Heaf test? which was done before the BCG vaccination to see if you already had antibodies to TB.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I remember my mum talking about measles parties, where all the little friends were invited for the same purpose.

There was also a story they had to burn all my uncle's clothing and possessions. I wonder what infection that would have been in response to?

Reply to
Scott

Does that mean if my 'postmark' is hardly visible, I already had the antibodies and did not get the main vaccination?

Reply to
Scott

Demonic? Plague?

The only other one I can think of is Smallpox, but that was pretty rare by the 20th century I think.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Most people in that era caught measles, German measles at school and scarlet fever too if they were really unlucky. It is that infectious.

Mumps is the slightly less infectious one you might never have caught and not be vaccinated against as an adult now.

Reply to
Martin Brown

There were only voluntary ones apparently when I was born in 1950, but I've never had any as far as I can tell. I have never had any of the three ailments though I only got Chicken pox and Whooping cough when I started work and passed both to my parents which was not very nice was it?

I think my mother did say I had no injections for anything, so I would have thought that back then the herd effect was not in play, yet although there were a lot fo cases of the ailments I do not recall it being an issue, indeed the school nurse, a thing no longer heard, told us that as long as we were not malnourished we would get over it if we got it.

Its interesting that it looks like Measles has come back but it does this every so many years or so, and I suppose if there are sufficient people and children around with no immunity it does take off. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I remember everyone at school going round punching people on the shoulder when it'd been done, can't remember why/how I missed out.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I was born 1954 and my records show Mumps 1955 and booster 1957. Ditto for Measles and Rubella.

However, my online records for Childhood Vaccinations all say "Due on" for all the dates rather than stating that they were given so it may be possible that my early records are incomplete/misleading and the standard form has been filled out just using my date of birth.

Reply to
alan_m

Could it have been scarlet fever ???

I think my dad had smallpox. He was an army doctor in India during the War and was ordered to vaccinate the troops. He did this but forgot to vaccinate himself. You need to know my dad !!!

Reply to
Scott

Heaf test I think it was. I looked this up last night.

Elsewhere it says the guns are non longer available.

Reply to
Scott

I was amused by the woman on Today yesterday, who said they should not use the term 'herd' because parents did not like their children referred to as a herd. Then two minutes later she mentioned 'cohorts'.

Reply to
Scott

That was after the full vaccination. The Heaf (and Mantoux) tests were normally done on the skin of the forearm. The full vaccination on the shoulder usually developed into a painful boil. Ah, happy days. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

alan_m laid this down on his screen :

My record is the same - Due On, apart from one in 2013 when I had to have a tetanus jab.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They may have been "due" on a particular date, but they do require the vaccine to have been developed before it can be given. Garbage software :(

I am pretty sure most people growing up in the 1960's got most of the highly infectious childhood diseases not long after starting school if they didn't already get them before that.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Different meaning. In this context, "A group of people having approximately the same age." The idea is to follow them through time. The "herd" of children could be of different ages, for example all the children in an infant school.

Reply to
Max Demian

I had forgotten all about that. I should have told them I was left-handed and requested vaccination in my right arm, then allowed my classmates to punch my left arm as they wished :-)

Reply to
Scott

Yes, I know. My point was that she objected to one piece of medical jargon then two minutes later introduced another.

Reply to
Scott

'Herd' in this context does not even apply to children. It's only used as in 'herd immunity' which is what happens if most if any population has been immunised or has developed immunity through having had the infection.

Reply to
Tim Streater

One of our maths teachers was among the last to be infected. (as a child but he still bore the scars as an adult)

He is the only one that I can recall.

Reply to
Martin Brown

1949 in my case, I had measles as well as chicken pox, but if I had mumps it was asymptomatic. IIRC measles is mainly a threat to children, not adults.
Reply to
newshound