Poor quality connections

I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on conductors.

Now I'm wondering where else in the house they're lurking ...

No wonder there are electrical fires.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I recently discovered Wago connectors. So far they seem pretty good.

Reply to
Erik the Pink

I managed to over-tighten screw on an MK socket, which stripped the screw. When I made a warranty claim, they did not dispute it. Surely a screw should be close to indestructible?

Reply to
Scott

Well hopefully they are accessible so the smoke might attract your attention.

OTOH, there's no knowing what a previous owner has done.

Reply to
Andrew

Were they contained inside a box of some sort ?.

Reply to
Andrew

I was trying to put them in a box, yes. These were new terminal strips which I think I bought a couple of years ago, although I can't find the original details, and was fitting today. I know I bought a bulk load of them in various sizes in preparation for rewiring.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Where did you buy them?

I'd expect the head of the screw to become chewed up long before the housing split.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does accessible imply no effective smoke barrier? I'm not convinced.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I've had exactly the same thing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Don't be silly, they are easy to strip with all that mechanical advantage they offer.

Screw terminals as crude as terminal strips should be banned.

Any good screw termination would have a little "tongue" under the screw to make contact with the wire not some rough finished screw.

Reply to
dennis

Screws tend to be made out of fairly hard materials like brass or steel.

The housings could be made of anything like copper or brass.

Reply to
dennis

The metal block used to be solid brass (or nickel alloy?) in a rectangular section, now it's extruded in that keyhole shape to save metal and machining - I imagine if the extrusion isn't done at the right speed/temperature or there are inclusions then that's the place it's going to fail. I wonder if the screws are brassed steel these days, rather than proper brass.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I estimate it's considerably less than 1 mm at the thinnest place.

Some of them were slightly magnetic, so probably.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I don't know. I can't find a record of an online purchase, so I wonder if it was Wickes?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Good call. Also some brasses can suffer from stress corrosion cracking. This might be "out of spec" brass.

Reply to
newshound