TOT: HTML/css trick to selectively display parts of page

Tim Watts :

the "Hello World" example, and it didn't work. I imagine that's because Mason isn't installed on the server. As expected, I think the answer to my question "Is that available on your everyday shared hosting account or does it need anything special?" needs qualifying a bit.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Mike Barnes ( snipped-for-privacy@bluebottle.com) wibbled on Friday 04 February 2011

19:37:

Remember, it's just a set of perl modules.

You can manually install it in your file area and invoke it as CGI with a suitable perl library path override.

Not ideal but unless you have a high load website, losing the optimisation of having modperl support (ie stuff resident in memory in Apache) may not matter.

Reply to
Tim Watts

There are two approaches to writing PHP. You can start with a HTML page and include bits of PHP or you start with a PHP file and include bits of HTML. I prefer the latter[1].

[1] but python is better.
Reply to
djc

djc ( snipped-for-privacy@bembo.invalid) wibbled on Friday 04 February 2011 21:27:

There's a 3rd approach (which is arguably a blend of the above):

The page "hit" starts a script (PHP, perl, whatever) that implements the logic of the page - this prepares a bunch of variables.

The script then invokes an HTML (or CSS) template page that is principally HTML (or CSS) but includes small snippets of templating inserted which draws upon the prepared variables only (no complex logic - but simple loops are allowed for tables/lists/etc).

The templating make be in the same script language as the logic script (eg embedded PHP or perl via Mason or Embperl) - or may be a special templating language that specifically avoids complex logic (by not implementing any).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts :

Thanks, I'll put that on my list of things to play with when the opportunity presents itself.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Tim Watts :

Having used that template-based approach quite a lot, I've come to the conclusion that it's a bit of a PITA. I always seem to end up with contorted code to prepare the list of variables, when it would be *so* much more natural to put the logic in the place that the data is used.

On balance, and unlike John, I prefer to have an HTML page with bits of PHP in it.

Each to his own.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Mike Barnes ( snipped-for-privacy@bluebottle.com) wibbled on Friday 04 February 2011

23:04:

I'v tried it both ways - I prefer the HTML with embedded code - mostly because to some extent you can work on the page with the editor in "web aware mode" - mostly because I find it more of a chore to keep the HTML clean and correct as opposed to the code. But i tried to hive of serious code to a pure code "included" module just to cut the code noise out of the HTML - and also because it's likely I will use that code in more than one page.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts :

Same here. Additionally I have one site that is mixed Wordpress and straight HTML. Although Wordpress tends towards the (alien, to me) HTML- within-PHP model, I've turned it all inside out, which allows me to use a Dreamweaver template and the Wordpress loop etc within the same page.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

The code in HTML mixed is ok for smallish projects I find, but it becomes a configuration control and testing nightmare on larger apps. You make a cosmetic change to a web page, and suddenly find yourself needing to run regression tests on lots of application code because it happened to be in a file you just edited.

You also make the code base rather less reusable since "stuff" is less well decoupled from surrounding stuff.

Reply to
John Rumm

Bob Eager wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I remember learning TECO on the PDP-8. However, IIRC the last TECO program (macro?) I wrote was on a VAX-

11/785 emulating a PDP-11/70 under RSX-11M. IIRC it was for stripping much rubbish from multiple TKB listings and retaining just the 'useful' stuff. Saved a lot of paper. But that was a loooooooooooooong time ago...

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

S'ok, me'n'Bob are of an age. Punched cards. Paper tape. Machines with a few K of memory. My exposure to computers was timed such that I saw the PDP11 rise and fall. I never made it to VAXen; I went to work for Xerox on *much* more esoteric stuff.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be, is it?

Reply to
Huge

I never used TECO for jobs like that. But knowing TECO turned out to be useful when I had to use the assembler ROM on the BBC microcomputer. Guess what? The editor was a TECO subset. Also used it on RT-11, TOPS-10, VMS, and even FreeBSD.

My tool of choice (once again) for shrinking listings was ML/I.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh yes. I can remember when we got our first Newbury terminals with a massive 4k of storage so that we could edit code off-line then upload it in massive 4k chunks.

My first computer was a PDP-11, about which I knew very little then I got an account on a CDC Cyber and later had a variety of Apple II, PET, Sirius. Then I moved into the commercial world and was back to using a PDP-11 for a time.

And the future isn't what it used to be either.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Terminals with storage? I suppose I started with those, but the storage was paper tape. ASR-33s, to be exactly.

Sadly not.

I really should be doing some DIY.

Reply to
Huge

That was where I started, but sometime in the early 1980s we got the Newbury VDU terminals, tasteful creations in cream and brown with keyboards fixed to the monitors.

I should be getting my digger to work, but it's raining.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Steve Firth (%steve%@malloc.co.uk) wibbled on Sunday 06 February 2011 14:06:

I have just thrown out some VT320 terms - heaven knows why we still had them. They (including 250kg[1] of other crap) were pissing me off so I looked up the college WEEE procedures and started booking stuff out.

[1] Why did I know the weight... Well, long story, but we have a max floor loading in the computer room and we are upto it. That crap = about 20 1U servers or 5-6 disk servers depending on model...

Kept a couple of WYSE terms as they still worked and have sensible connectors on the back which makes them occasionally useful for diagnostics on switches etc. They knew how to build stuff 25 years ago!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Pity. I could have done with one or two for my VAXes.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) wibbled on Sunday 06 February 2011 15:26:

They have not gone yet - I can pull them off the disposal list (ie switch then with a couple of monitors - cost is the same).

How many and can you collect or arrange pickup from Imperial?

I haven't tested these yet (mostly 'cos they have a male DB25 but I can find a lead somewhere ... Partly why I prefer the WYSEs :)

Feel free to email me Bob.

Reply to
Tim Watts

New lighting installed in the wife's art glass display cabinets. 10W dichroics too dim, they'll have to go back, 50W dichroics (came with the fittings) too bright, but they'll have to do for the time being.

Miserable wife now complaining about having to clean & replace art glass. Her real problem is that she wanted to go outside and do some gardening, but it's wet and windy.

Reply to
Huge

I bought a couple of packs (10 bulbs per pack) of 35W dichroic GU10 bulbs from Lidl. They seem to do the job and they have reduced the kitchen lighting from 1000W to 700W so it's a saving.

Heh, them's as buys glass can clean it I say. Usually when my wife gets that spring cleaning gleam in her eye.

I managed to give the digger a clean, polished up the rams and sprayed them with WD40 to try to stop corrosion. They seem fine, but it's a constant battle with the elements.

Reply to
Steve Firth