A 6ft toilet auger doesn't reach blockage.
Soil stack is a further 6ft away. From manhole
to soil stack is clear and can't rod out blockage
from that end. What's the best tool/procedure.
Thanks in advance,
There is also a version which employs a pressurised can of compressed
gas as a charge. It fits tightly to the waterline and when triggered
vents the gas content instantly into the pipe. Make sure your joints
I saw one demonstrated and it blasted the stoppage plug a considerable
distance from the end of the pipe. If its sh-t you are clearing dont
get in the way or you will suffer the effects
Flush the toilet to fill the pipe to the blockage and then attempt to
get a pressure surge travelling down the pipe?
I suppose rodding down from the top of the soil stack isn't on?
I'd try a drain rod with a circular rubber disc on the end (a pretty
standard accessory for rods). Fill the WC pan with water (enough to cover
the disc) and push the disc down to the bottom of the pan and then push
back and forth sharply and repeatedly (trying not to get splashed
with sh*tty water!) You're generating hydraulic pulses through the water
to try to dislodge the blockage. A standard stereotypical plumbing drain
plunger is similar but less rigid so I don't think you can generate such
strong pulses, but more importantly it has a shorter handle than a drain
rod so you can't stand so far away from the sh*tty water!
Having tried a waterblaster and plungers without success, I made a
plug to fit inside the drain, using a sheet of rubber with a large
metal washer on each side and a handle several feet long to hold the
plug in place. I put a hose fitting in the plug and connected a
hosepipe to it from the mains water supply which happens to be 110
After a few minutes the drain was clear. I would hope so with 1500
pounds pushing against the blockage.
YAPH ( email@example.com) wibbled on Wednesday 02 February 2011 21:49:
If the water goes down eventually, ie there is leakage, I've found that
dosing a moderate quantity of caustic soda down, flush and then leave so the
caustic "plug" travels to the blockage, then leave overnight can break the
blockage up anough to shift.
2 things: Adding a lot (1kg) of caustic to water is dangerous as dissolving
is an exothermic reaction. If the water gets warm, the caustic dissoves
fastr, more heat, hot water, faster, more heat, water boils, you get faceful
of boiling caustic water. I nearly had that happen in a bucket once - I
added it too fast - go slowly.
The other, if you dump a pile of c.soda granuals in the pan and leave them
there, if they don't dissolve, they are apt to form a solid mass like
So I would add warm water to the loo, and add the caustic slowly whilst
stirring with an old stick.
It's hit and miss but it fixed a blockage I had 12 feet away once (there
turned out to be an inspection cover at the blockage but buried so no one
knew it was there).
Failing caustic, you (OP) could try an entire bottle, or two bottles of
bleach - that can sometimes loosen things enough. Same theory - one flush
and try to get it to travel en-bloc to the blockage and leave it alone for
as long as poss. Bleach is alkaline and an oxidiser and will attack some
elements of shite (fats mostly) which may be just enough - depending on how
the blockage has arisen.
Under no circumstances follow up with any kind of acid - or you risk gassing
the house out with pure chlorine!
It's a long shot, but it's something that can be worth a 10:1 punt as it
doesn't make matters any worse.
Matty F ( firstname.lastname@example.org) wibbled on Wednesday 02 February 2011
I was too late with the bleach idea - but well done you.
Might be worth investigating that one now and see why it blocked.
American toilet plungers are rather different from the common UK
variety and are generally much more efficient because they make a
better seal. Granted they need to use them very frequently indeed
there as blockages in American toilets are an everyday affair, but
it's well worthwhile picking up a good one on your next trip to the
Thanks for all the replies. Further investigation
revealed that the although the water was draining
out of the toilet it wasn't making it to the soil
pipe - there must be a leak somewhere which
explains why pressure methods didn't work.
The local plumber is coming in tomorrow to
try and sort it. Will let you know how he gets on.
Fortunately the wc hasn't been used seriously
for several months :-)