Toilet replacement

Hi,

I'm sure I've seen this asked somewhere before but can't find where, so apologies for possibly going over old ground !

I'm replacing the downstairs cloakroom toilet - the earthenware soil pipe goes down through the solid concrete floor. The top of the soil pipe has a wide "collar" on it and the old toilet was cemented into the collar. I've managed to remove the toilet and remove the cement without breaking the collar.

The new plastic coupling between the loo and the soil pipe is a lot narrower than the collar. Since the collar is now only cosmetic (I think) because the new plastic pipe goes inside the soil pipe - i was going to cut the collar off so the soil pipe is flush with the concrete floor.

a) Is this OK b) If it is OK, what's the best tool for cutting the collar off flush with the floor ?

Cheers, Tim.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

"Tim Jenkins" wrote on 18/12/2003 :-

I would be looking at cutting the collar very gently with a grinderette, fitted with a stone cutting disk, assuming it is a ceramic pipe.

To fill in the gap, I would use that extremely sticky/gundgy/greasy tape called I believe Densil tape, then a layer of cement over the top to make it look tidy.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think so. I had a similar prob with a plastic pipe.

You don't ant to know what I used - a cutoff emery and fibre disc mounted in an electric drill. Angle grinder would have been a bit better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher