TOT - "Community solar farm"?

wrote:

Not weasely at all as amount generated depends on the weather. More weasely is the maintenance plan offered.

It's all part of the clutching at straws syndrome these retards are afflicted with. They get even worse with wind turbines. (Drivelish claims they chop darling little bats and birds to pieces and "flicker" etc.)
There's only one argument against mega size PV ground arrays and that's about it taking up agricultural land. Personally I think all PV should be on roofs when it's taking up no space. And furthermore, everyone should be compelled to have one.

The other argument against mega size PV arrays is that they are poor value compared with nuclear the way the french do it.

Not all roofs are suitable orientation wise.

That makes no sense at all.

Dementia. Living in the past.
On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 16:14:09 +0000, harryagain wrote:

Stupid answers are also good for that, Harry. Very good indeed.

You mean you've never noticed? The really big new ones are neither. They are a succession of linked semicircular polytunnels.
writes

Neither look to be glass.
wrote

The optimum for the UK is 36 degrees to maximise production.
wrote

Does that allow for the rather poor insolation levels in winter ?
Wonder why more don’t have some simple variable angle system so you can have say just two, one that is best for winter and the other for summer etc and just manually change between them twice a year. Trivial to do mechanically.

Only stupid pilots don't look out. Always. It's the very first rule of flying, the very first thing you learn.
So flying is something else you have zero knowledge about.

Have you ever been in one of these places? or been close up?

Well the first one I linked to certainly is, I went inside it last Spring.
I suppose that they might have used polycarbonate gazing at thanet earth, but seems unlikely.
This article says it uses glass with a lower iron content for maximum light transmission(which matters for this sort of thing)
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/agriculture/farming/10321390/Thane t-Earth-the-farm-of-the-future.html>
--
Chris French

Dementia - anther subject Harry would seem to know nothing about - or maybe he's forgotten.
--
bert

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 16:32:47 -0000, harryagain wrote:

have

There aren't any to notice around here, no poly tunnels either. The closest I see near here is plastic sheet laid on tilled, and presumably planted with something, ground with edges buried to stop it blowing away.
Up here it's either enclosed grazing or open moor grazed by sheep and maintained for grouse.

I've seen aerial pictures of the large glasshouses in the deep south, they don't look like poly tunnels to me but greenhouse type structures but on a massive scale.
FX:Google:
http://www.moodyplc.com/archived-news/moody-help-deliver-uks-greenest- tomatoes.html
18 hectares, pitched glass roofs (rooves?).
--
Cheers
Dave.

Yup.
You do get large polytunnel structures, but AIUI commercially they are used more for growing plants which benefit from a bit of extra protection, to extend the growing season, or protect from bad weather, so things like soft fruits.
They aren't so suited to the optimum growing of young plants in nurseries, or tomatoes etc. Light transmission isn't so good, and they can't control the temperature, etc. so well.
--
Chris French

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 11:49:44 +0000, "Dennis@home"

I'd guess it's a solar panel causing this effect.
https://goo.gl/maps/wJRFb
On 08/01/2015 00:59, mcp wrote:

More likely than being a modern-day Bethlehem. :-)
--
Rod

writes

The modern ones are plastic sheet. Cheaper, lighter, won't break and long life these days.
wrote

There are such things But they are not trivial at all. Three times the price.
And fully tracking around six times the price for 40% more electricity.
wrote

Completely trivial to do one yourself.

Not if you do it yourself. Doesn’t in fact add anything to the price at all when you do it right.
Doesn’t need to have any more materials at all when done in steel, just a couple of holes drilled and put a welded on bolt thru there to act as the hinge.

Again, not if you diy it. More certainly but not 6 times the price given that the bulk of the cost is still the panels.

writes

Big on strawberries/other soft fruit round here. To get out of season fruit. The edges are rolled up in summer to control temperature.
We have acres of them. Big issue, lots of NIMBYs whining round here.