TOT about driving conditions the week

Steve Firth wrote: snip

I'll bet it had Rover somewhere in its name :-) Or it was a tractor.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It isn't the snow that bothers me, it is the tailbacks and road closures. I see the M3 got shut yesterday, one of the roads I have to use to get to the M27.

I'm going to pack the car with a crappy lappy and my Orange dongle so I can log on and see what is happening.

Many thanks for the info.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

driving through falling snow is scary, do you go fast in case there's a huge lorry coming up behind? or stop and hope there isnt a huge lorry coming up beind? [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

:-) I have trouble with cm's, I cant convert them until I have converted them into mm's and then inches :-)

I have never worked in cm's at any time in my life, though I had to learn about mm's in 1978. Litres are a bit of a mystery as well, as the aircraft fuel was measured in Kg's.

Cheers.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

TomTom is a bit slow, isn't it? I have done that journey back home in 3 hours in a Montego estate :-) At the time, I didn't let our son know, as he was in the navy then and he would drive from there to the Lake District on Friday evening and go back to his ship late Sunday night every weekend.

That looks very interesting, as it will make the journey shorter. Does that short stretch of the M42 have those annoying gantries with speed limits on? TBH I have never had a problem with the M6 traffic in Birmingham, it has always been in Staffordshire. I'll try the M5 tomorrow, but I won't use it coming back, as the M6 slows to a crawl where the M5 joins it going North.

The M6 S of Manchester is always a PITA until you get North of the M62. What I don't like in that area is the part in Cheshire that has the chevrons on the road, everyone slows down for them and when you have been driving for so long and want to get home they are a PITA.

Many thanks for that info.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Sorry, I hast found out that I didn't answer that question. It's her sisters birthday and at lunchtime I found out it had been cancelled due to the conditions in the Oldham area.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Or the met office proving it :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Unfortunately, she has to be back at work on Monday, so my options are forget Thursday.

Forget Friday as the roads will be choked up, Saturday morning going down is a possibility and coming home Sunday morning, but I don't yet know what the forecast is until later tonight.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

She did, thankfully

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I rather value my balls, they are what makes me a man. If I suggest that, I could lose them when I get her back home. :-((

The old diesel can do the trip there and back on one tank, with fuel to spare for about £55-00 now the chancellor has ripped us off again. :-(

VAT reduced to 15%. Duty on bear, wines and spirits increased. As well as fuel duty being increased when VAT was reduced.

Anyone seen an announcement about the duty being reduced since January the first? No? I wonder why.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

They do have a 'north of England' reporter :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That raises a question. Major roads around here (A6) have been gritted. But I still find my ABS kicks in on an apparently clear road. The temperature is only 0 degrees C.

WTF is going on? It can't be black ice. It's not cold enough.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

How on earth can they do that? They are private property. At the worst, they are only trespassing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I had a very good chuckle over that.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's because the rubber in your stone cold tyres is failing to grip the tarmac properly.

Reply to
Adrian

It's not just the mechanics of getting a car to go places. It's driving on roads packed with people who don't know how to drive in the conditions etc. So even if you are well equiped you will still have to navigate around everyone else.

Reply to
djc

top posting corrected

Neil wrote: > >

Just where in my post did I mention driving on snow? The journey I will be making is on major trunk and motorway roads. Snow will not be a problem on them.

I an far more bothered about road closures and bottlenecks.

I was born and brought up on the Western Pennine hills, so I know what snow is about. We could get 5 foot drifts overnight there.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you forgot your PE kit you just wore your pants!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In that year, I was courting a girl and we didn't have much money. We would sit on the wall outside her house and during that winter I would slip my hand through her coat buttons and caress her breast, well, my hand couldn't spread to both. People would walk past and didn't know what we were up to. :-))

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Having had a job, for three years, as site supervisor, the problem is the alarm code and the door locks and nothing else. Only the site supervisor, the head and deputy head knew the code. All the other teachers had to wait for the code to be entered.

The door locks were duplicated with only the designated key holder being able to undo the first lock. The second lock was able to be un-locked by anyone given a key for it. i.e. all the staff.

Dave

Reply to
Dave