TOT about driving conditions the week

Nope. Any car parks, roads, etc. that the public have access to can now be considered part of the highway for road traffic enforcement purposes. Anyone sensibly using an empty car park for a bit of skid pan practice can be done for dangerous driving or any other such offence. People have also been done for not being insured when having a go of other peoples vehicles in car parks or for not stopping at a pedestrian crossing in one.

As well as that, if someone sees you doing it and reports you to the police, you can be warned and then, if on a second occasion, a separate person sees you doing it (or something else) and reports you, you can be summararily convicted of using a vehicle for anti-social behavior and can have your vehicle confiscated for a couple of weeks (of course, you will have to pay for it being towed and stored before you can get it back!)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Neil saying something like:

Here's something useful

Grimly Curmudgeon

If the sky is clear, and the sun is not on the road, radiative cooling can get the surface temperature a _long_ way below the air temperature.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

i'm sure you'll drive carefully.

If your car radio has RDS, tune it to a BBC station and enable Traffic Announcements. Any BBC station giving out a travel bulletin that is within range of your car will switch the radio over to their broadcast. This way, you use the plethora of BBC stations to monitor conditions local to you.

You may be able to turn the audio down, and only hear the traffic bulletins, if you don't like the programmes :-)

Drive safely.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Yeah, but it wasn't winter, it was sunny in Milan, got a bit drizzly through the tunnels (IYSWIM), by the time it deteriorated it was too late to turn back

over 24 hours to get to Nuernberg ...

Reply to
geoff

Yeah, someone was doing just that as I walked past the Homebase car park

See Homebase is useful for something

It looked like great fun

Reply to
geoff

I suppose the difference is that we expect it - and the distances here are so vast that everyone works 'locally'. Businesses seem to just understand and make allowances.

Reply to
Jules

In message , Tim W writes

Don't talk to me about couriers - been a total disasater since before xmas

DHL - local depot (borehamwood) closed down on the 22nd december

tried mon, tues and today to get a parcel picked up, did they manage it today ?

no

APC - phoned me to say the driver wouldn't be coming, so I sent tverything citylink, half an hour later the APC driver turned up

CityLink - had to wait until past 6pm for the driver to get to me - they forgot ...

mumble, mumble

Reply to
geoff

I said a few days ago - there is no law against snow chains

Reply to
geoff

Hide them.

If she's short, just put them at the back of a high shelf.

Reply to
Jules

you stop after X meters without chains and double it with?

If you are moving you are moving and will stay moving unless somthing changes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sticking to the limits?...

Donno, I rarely go further south than the M62 these days. As to the M42 I spent quite a bit of time riding a push bike along it when they were building it.

Naw, not until you are north of Lancaster does it get nice.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's great and its all you need

Reply to
geoff

Looking at the sky with my infra red thermometer (usually used for balancing radiators) is revealing. Even on a warmish day if the sky is clear the temperature is much below zero. Cloud cover on a coldish day could be above zero. As the sky clears it's temperature plumets on an IR thermometer, thus ground frost.

Reply to
<me9

Had that taking a motorhome back throught he San Gottardo. Sunny in Milan, bucketing down with snow at we exited the San Gottardo and instead of being in Colmar by 5pm it took us two days to get there.

That was in April.

24 hours? By, you were lucky.
Reply to
Steve Firth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

Because a tendency to put on chains means you are likely to be further from the object you eventually slide into, like Dennis. Safety, innit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Help, I'm volunteering to be a Luddite! Son 1's friend coming from Salop to Leics. relied upon his SatNav which took him along the M6 to the M42 rather than the A5.

Son 2 gave me a call one night when travelling down from Warrington to Leics with roadway instructions advising him that the M6 exits to Stoke were closed and that he had to go to the M6 Bypass. He was broke and had problems, ( I don't have problems with the consequences of his failure to plan ahead). However, the bl&&dy obvious choice would have been Junction 12 and the A5.

I'm advised by Garmin to go at least two miles out of my way when I travel back from the northwest.

A few years ago, I was sailing a boat in the South West of Scotland. There was no sonar, GPS or other gizmo's being depended upon. We were trying to get into Rothsay Harbour in the dark. I was helming, there were various sages using charts and expected navigation lights telling me to keep going ahead whilst I was hearing the too close lapping of waves on the shore.

I suddenly turned and followed a ship into harbour.

T'others were both puzzled and displeased.

T'was the ferry.

Reply to
Clot

O level mathenmatics shpould be all you need dave.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

geoff gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There is if they may damage the road surface - which they can and will on tarmac.

Reply to
Adrian

makes

somthing

I must be missing something.

With nothing changing, like condition of the snow pack, the gradient, the power out from the engine, speed of travel etc what is to stop you?

Once on the hill and moving what alters the grip at 30' further on compared to 60' further on?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice