Torch

Could have a look at one of these (there are several very similar models):

They certainly appear to fulfil your requirement for "bright". And can run from rechargeable AAs.

Reply to
polygonum

Up to a point. My 4D has had an early LED upgrade, but, having been unused in the car boot for some time, it appears that the batteries have failed and the end cap is corroded in place. Even fairly brutal treatment has failed to shift it.

I am reluctant to scrap it, but it seems too far gone.

Cheap units from China perform very well, even if they don't quite have the same engineering appeal.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Thanks for that, worth a punt then.

If you cannot leave it on permanent charge how can the light-on-mains-failure work?

AJH

Reply to
news

Well I don't know. It certainly did not say that in my manual. Nor did I have USB chargers. I got mine around June last year.

It should be interesting to see what Huge has to say after messing about with his torch. Don't forget that the Trio is only 230lm and you are probably used to more than that with your last torch.

Reply to
ARW

There appear to be two 'Trio's

DJC

Except it's 550lm. I'm dead impressed so far. We'll see how long it lasts.

Reply to
Huge

[21 lines snipped]

I think they may have sent me the wrong one?

I ordered this;

And paid £31 odd.

But they've sent this one;

Which is brighter and £37-odd.

The web page says "Can be left on permanent charge." but the "manual" says "Do not leave the battery on charge for more than one week, as it will shorten its life".

Reply to
Huge

It looks like you got the £37 inc VAT one.

Toolstation blurb says they can be left on permanent charge.

AJH

Reply to
news

Well spotted. That one is 320 lm brighter than the one I have. Mine is the

30338 at Toolstation (a Trio 230).

Now see if you can find a Trio 550 on the manufactures web site?

Reply to
ARW

Fuck me. A lot brighter than the one I have! No wonder you nearly lost an eye:-)

Downside is that you only have half the run time of the one you ordered.

Reply to
ARW

Just put it on low power and it'll run 7 hours. Even in low power mode, it's damn bright.

Reply to
Huge

To put it into perspective, your 550 torch on half power it is as bright as my 230 torch on full power!

Reply to
ARW

I've ordered the 550, there's no way I'm going to need it for a full shift.

It will be an interesting comparison with the Ritelight K9s

AJH

Reply to
news

5200 lm but only 2 hours run time and greater than a factor of ten more expensive.

Tempted by the 30 quiders but the 6 V SLA/halogen works well enough. The 20 min runtime is a bit short but isn't really a strong enough hook to hang the purchase of another lamp on.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's the view I took but over Xmas the 10+ year old battery seemed to give up completely so I took the plunge.

For normal use I have a single AA cell LED which cost a fiver, it seems to have some sort of joulethief circuit, I bought it to use up old dry cells and keep it in the finger of a glove in my pocket.

I have yet to find a similar single cell head torch of the same type, as these are de rigeur on night shifts, but it does work ok held between the teeth ;-(.

I keep inadvertently hitting the slide on off button on the current one, which inconveniently runs on 2 AAAs.

Anyway following Adam's request and in order to get a quick review, I'll issue the 550 one to a chap on night works next week, assuming we have some.

AJH

Reply to
news

The toolstation package was waiting for me at work this morning with the nightsearcher trio 550. I put it on charge about midday.

It is very light and comfortable to hold compared with the SLA halogen.

It came with a USB charger for mains and one for the 12V cigar lighter, it also has a standard USB outlet so could charge a cellphone. Charge port is micro usb. It comes with a wall mount bracket

There are 3 modes, switch on is full beam, switch a second time for 3 seconds gives a reduced output, Switch on and hold for 3 seconds and it flashes.

When on charge if you switch on a second red led indicates it is in light-on power-failure, it flashes when the power fails.

It is a torch rather than a work light as the beam is fairly narrow compared with the halogen SLA but it seemed as bright in this spot., I will try and find a diffuser to fit.

After 4 hours charge at 16:00 I switched it on reduced brightness and the light failed at 19:00.

Up till then once I was home I stood it pointing vertically at the white ceiling and I could just about read and type using it.

I've a feeling that a 7 hour run time is optimistic but will try again after a full charge time.

The lens screws off and two clips hold the reflector and its heat sink to expose 4 screws which hide the battery, I delved no further but it will be interesting to see how long the battery lasts compared with the SLA.

AJH

Reply to
news

I should bloody hell hope it is a torch. Is that not what Huge asked for:-)

Reply to
ARW

Yes, poor use of words perhaps, it is a good torch.

What I was trying to get across was with its long run time if the beam could be spread with a diffuser it would be useable as a work light too.

I wonder if one of those Fresnel lenses used to counter blind spots might work.

AJH

Reply to
news

Just about - are you sure that there is nothing wrong with you eyes? A 2 x AA Maglite with incandesant bulb provides enough light to "just about read and type" by...

This BFO torch is supposed to be 225 lumen on low, whats yer bog standard "60 W light bulb" 80 ish?.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You appear to have dropped a zero ...

Reply to