Head Lamp recommendations

Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v

80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

Reply to
AnthonyL

SWMBO loves Petzl for camping. IO bought one and am also very pleased for work round the house and garden.

Reply to
Bob Eager

+3 (we all had one). ;-)

Petzl Zipka here, no straps to get caught up in everything else in your pocket (recoiling headband), very light, 3 x AAA, well built, good light ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've an oldish Petzl - does the job well, but I find the light dips considerably after about 20 minutes using AAA rechargeables. I'm inclined to try their rechargeable pack, but at £20 . . .

Reply to
RJH

I used head torches extensively all my working life. I've had quite a few, but the Ledlenser H7R.2 is the best:

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Was it the gadget show or somewhere else where they demonstrated a pair of safety glasses with LEDs around the outside of the lens aimed forward so they illuminated the item being looked at. I remember the battery was worn on a belt clip.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

In message <rsgn5a$1rpr$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, RJH snipped-for-privacy@gmx.com writes

I was gifted a *beanie* head lamp for Christmas. Rechargeable led choice of red/white/flashing!

Handy if I ever go cycling after dark as the Beanie doesn't care which way it is worn.

Strong reservations about head mounted lights as they blind whoever you look at:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That looks OK to me. I have several of these (I think they used to come in packs of three)

For the amount we use them I just use disposables.

Reply to
newshound
<snip>

I think that used to be part of the design ... and the battery voltage dropped past a certain threshold it turned off the outer two LEDS to give you *some* light.

Given that 3 x NiMh are nominally only 3.6V and 3 x alkaline 4.5, it makes sense such a light might go into 'energy conservancy mode' quicker on rechargeables.

I think my Garmin GPS3+ and V had a setting for dry or rechargeables for that very reason (low battery warning).

We used to just use good Alkaline in ours as one set would easily last a 2 week camping holiday and if out walking would carry a couple of spare sets 'in case'.

If using them at home we might use rechargeables as we had a good few ready to go. ;-)

The key thing about ours was the simplicity and ease of use of the recoiling headband (Zipka). It really turns it from a bulky / tangly 'lump' into something more like an egg, very easy to slip into even a trouser pocket and we could put any one on (of the three) and they all

*automagically* fitted each others heads (or post, leg, car wing mirror etc).

It can also be worn over a hat *without* any extra / different adjustment.

eg, The USP for the Petzl Zipka wasn't specifically the light (which was good, long lasting), the weight (lighter than most), or the price (not particularly 'cheap'), but how convenient it was in / to use, to the point that all the other cheaper / brighter / more-variable headlights we have here stay in the draw unused.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You seem to have missed the irony in your post. "Handy if I ever go cycling after dark as the Beanie doesn't care which way it is worn." "Strong reservations about head mounted lights as they blind whoever you look at" Not only do they dazzle but the light pattern confuses other road users, to the detriment of everyone's safety. Grrr!

Reply to
nothanks

As far as I know you can't get cheaper than those from Poundland.

Reply to
wasbit

If the Poundland head lamps in Big Clive's video at

are still available they're worth considering. Lightweight and compact with bright wide coverage even at the lower power setting but they do run the AAA batteries down quickly if used on full power for very long.

I bought a couple a few months ago and have been quite impressed with them.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I got one as an Xmas pressie. Takes 3 AAA - or remove that holder and one

18650. Which suits be as I use them for other things.

Has one 'tight' beam or four for a wider coverage. Or run all together. It also has a flashing mode. No idea why.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Quite! I was envisaging wearing it backwards on red. While I do have a bike and can still ride, at 77+3 days it is unlikely to happen.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I just fixed mine with hot glue and a slide switch - the on off button had failed

Everyone should have a similar hands free torch Not worth using rechargeables - unless you use it all the time

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
<snip>

If it's a good one it will point the light down at a reasonable angle and so should be 'ok' at social distances.

You could get the same effect with your Beanie if you pulled the led part down over your Neanderthal brow. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

This one seems to have only 1 LED.

OOI, do you happen to know how a Lithium pack could work - I thought they came in multiples of 3.7V?

Yes, I do try to avoid disposables if I can.

Well, suitably jealous, and it would be sold if the current one packed up :-)

Reply to
RJH

Ah yes, I was talking about our Zipkas. ;-)

Yes, I believe they do but given these new models are 'smart' (3 brightness levels) the chances it will regulate any power supply voltage down to something stable (3 x NiMH / Lipo being the lowest).

<snip>

So do we for pretty anything used when at or based from home. Whilst we used to take a 5W solar panel with us when motorcycle camping, you could never *really* guarantee enough sun at the right times (when we were camping) to bring all our other batteries up to 100%.

<snip>

There are some things out there I'm happy to recommend to others (and would replace if it packed up etc), the Petzl Zipka head torches being one (and daughters tree climbing harness and safety helmet are also Petzl and seem to be good gear), the Leatherman multitools tools (and particularly the PST II, for an everyday carry) and the Garmin range of GPS's (had one since they first came out and they have all been brilliant) ... oh, and the MagLite torches etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, I note one of the guys on The Repair Shop has one of those. But I'm not going to be an extensive user so I was hoping for something a bit more in my pay grade - we didn't all work in lofty positions you know.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Batteries you mean, or the whole lamp?

Reply to