Top of tiles

Along side of the bath I have two rows of tiles. On the top of the tile is a bead of silicone. It looks rather messy tbh. I want something that wil go on the tile and against the wall and that looks neat. Is there such a thing to finish off tiles? Also is there a good grout remover on the market without buying a Fien Multimaster?

Thanks Sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

First two in this row are for the top of the tiles Sammy

George

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Yes tile trim, though I'm not convinced the top two of the column in the previously posted link are suitable. You need something that is a quadrant, those didn't look like quadrants to me but difficult to tell from the image. I use the tile trim listed below the top two choosing one to match the tile thickness. Trouble is these need to be fitted with the tiles as the perforated bit goes behind the tiles.

Old screwdriver? Or bung "grout rake" into screwfix,com.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Everybody should own a Fein Multimaster.

In the end, due to covetousness, they give way and buy. That day might as well be earlier rather than later because more value will be obtained. It also provides longer to remember and experience the quality without remembering the price.

All of the best purchases work like this.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The plastic trims sold by the DIY and tiling stores look like the cheap rubbish that they are and the appearance quickly becomes awful.

A far better solution, if rounded edge tiles of the type you have are not available, is to obtain some contrasting or complementary border tiles. Sometimes these are called pencil strips. There are loads of different shapes and patterns

Silicone is not the right way to finish tile edges, and neither really are plastic strips.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You just made that up. And what do you use around windows etc?

Reply to
stuart noble

No doubt silicone. ;-) plastic trim is the way to go,much better...personally this stuff is over priced though so I use 1/4" quadrant wood stained to compliment the tiles. ;-)

Reply to
George

Bullnose or radius cap

tiles if tiling from fresh rather than "tile edging"? If "tarting" up existing tiles use wooden quadrant beading.

Reply to
soup

Can you show me what you mean by beading please?

Reply to
Samantha Booth

a thin bead of Gripfill (or similar) to affix beading to top of tiles. I remember in an old house (when I was a kid) the beading was affixed with panel pins into the wall, the holes had to be predrilled to avoid the beading splitting as it is of a really rather small section.

Reply to
soup

Umm.. no. I've used pencil edges on numerous tiling projects.

Where you tile into window reveals, the best technique is to stop the grout about 3mm short of the frame and fill that with a suitably coloured silicone to make an expansion joint.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you're tiling public urinals possiibly....

Reply to
Andy Hall

tile trim is a neat and practical solution. It certainly does not deteriorate over time (although Andy would like it to), but it is susceptible to abrasion from grout, so that shouldn't be allowed to dry on the surface.

Reply to
stuart noble

How long it takes plastic to look awful depends on how exposed the edge is plastic takes knocks a lot better than the glaze of a bull nosed tile...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I imagine most people will rather go with the Bosch PMF 180, at 1/3 of the price for the Fien.

David

Reply to
DM

Go into a shed Sammy and locate the racks of special bead wood,this rac contains all fancy beading and you will find a 1/4" quadrant suitable for the tops of the tiles...heavens you might even find something fancy on the racks other than quadrant. It has two flat sides and a half moon shape.

Reply to
George

And now MrNobles question.

Reply to
George

I meant the "quickly become awful" bit (as if you didn't know)

No, I'm talking about where you enter the opening, not the bit that meets the frame. And please don't say you mitre the tile edges or I'll scream.

Reply to
stuart noble

You might think so, but it appears that Fein are doing pretty well with their products.

I own a Multimaster and recently had an opportunity to try out a Bosch. The Fein is a better product in terms of control and use as well as the range of accessories (with the exception of the concrete tool).

Reply to
Andy Hall