Top hung window needs a fastener

I've fitted a window to my new workshop which I think is defined as 'top hung', but has friction hinges at the side so that I can open it out and up, and slide in long sections of wood straight onto the bench.

The multilever side hinges cope with the hinging and the 'staying open', but what does the collective suggest I use for the 'staying closed' bit. The similarly hinged windows in my modern extension have a handle and lever operating lock into the frame but I don't know whether you can get such things or whether there is something simpler joinerywise that is around.

Thanks for any assistance

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Joinery, you say. therefore timber. You do not want a bottom fastner if used for sliding in timber.

Are the side frames of the opener sufficiently wide for a bolt; i.e. an old fashioned bog door lock?

Reply to
Clot

It's called a sash fastener - it can be fitted to the sill or stiles of the sash. Most builders merchants or good hardware stores would probably stock them.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Thanks guys - I've found what I think I could use - a 'shoot bolt'

anyone any experience of fitting one of these to a timber framed window ? Would I be right in thinking that the bolt part just runs in a slot on the underside of the bottom rail ?

Rob

Reply to
Rob G